Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an MBRP 4" turbo back coming in the mail. Yay! I noticed in the picture that it appears to have a one piece downpipe. Is there anything special I need to do to remove the old one and install the new one? I don't own a lift and was wondering if it's easy to install from the bottom up if the truck is sitting on the ground, or would jacking it up a bit help? Thanks!

·
Registered
948 Posts
When we did mine, we managed to pull the stock down pipe out from the top. It was difficult and took some time, but we did it. When I installed the new down pipe, I went from the bottom up. This was done on a stock f350 with the truck sitting on the ground. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I cut my old down pipe in half to get it out. As for the new one - I'd say an extra pair of hands. I laid under the truck pushing the pipe up while my dad got it on the turbo and band clamped...

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did mine on the ground by myself last week (MBRP straight pipe turbo back). You will need to drop the old downpipe as far as you can and then cut it at the bend with a sawzall. After that it's all smooth until connecting the new downpipe to the turbo. THAT was a pain in the ***.

The problem if you're doing it alone is you need one hand to hold the downpipe in place and the other to get the clamp over it. Then you need your 3rd hand to tighten the clamp. Now if you find yourself like me, you may not have a 3rd hand. Here's how I solved that. Instead of removing the bolt from the nut on the clamp, loosen it almost to the point the nut comes off, but not further. Open the clamp by removing the bolt head from the other side of the clamp. Use your left hand to hold the downpipe while using your right to situate the open clamp into position. Once you have it in position, squeeze it with your right hand and try to get the bolthead to drop back into the intended slot in the clamp. Once it does you will likely have just enough tension where the clamp will hold the downpipe in place well enough for you to let go and grab your socket wrench to tighten the nut. Make sure you have a deep well socket.

After that the whole installation is gravy.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome tips, I did end up cutting the downpipe and a few other places with my sawzall. I used some wire to hold up the downpipe in place while I clamped it in. It definitely would've been nice just to have a 3rd hand.

I've been driving with my windows down and the radio off the past couple days. lol

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Thankyou for the Search function actually working and this post. Doing my MBRP SLM Straight pipe Turboback tonight. freezin my a$$ off im sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts