Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking at buying a new MBRP 4" Turbo Back with cat test/delet pipe for my 06 6.0 cc sb 4x4.

I called up 4 Wheel Parts to place my order... I chose them because they are located near my house and will install the system.

While speaking with the guy on the phone, he "warned" me that the cat delete pipe of the MBRP system will hit the firewall and either the pipe or the wall have to be modified to allow the system to fit. I asked him about the MBRP "off-road only" system, and he said the same thing. In fact, they no longer install any MBRP system with the cat deleted because of the firewall problem.

He said if I want a system without the cat, the ONLY system that fits without modification is the Banks Monster Exhaust.

I smell a rat! Is this guy being honest and saving me a headache, or is he trying to sell the Banks instead of MBRP? Have any of you had similar issues, and how did you "modify" things to make them fit?

I need input from the great folks on this forum! Please help!

Thanks,
Daryl

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
I smell a rat trying to get you to pay more money on the Banks.

My MRBP duals had one "tap" problem, and that was no where near the firewall and all it took was to adjust the pipes a little bit.:thumb:

He is trying to increase his profit line.:nod:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hadn't heard anything like that either. So, I just got off the phone with a guy at Extreme Diesel, and he threw another wrench in my plans...

He said that the only system that would hit the firewall is one with a 4" downpipe, like a Magnaflow. This is why MBRP uses 3.5" downpipe. So, that solves that problem. But, he said the VGT turbo is actually dependant on the back pressure that the cat causes. He said deleting the cat actually hurts performance, and although it won't cause your turbo to break immediately, it will reduce the longevity of it.

His recommendation is to just buy the MBRP cat-back system. I tend to beleive this guy because his recommendation would save me money and make them less profit.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Will my performance decrease without the cat?

Thanks again,
Daryl

·
Registered
559 Posts
I bet over 85% of 6.0 owners on this sight are running straight pipes, the other 15% probably have stock exhaust systems still, get the MBRP turbo back and straight pipe if that's what you want, I have mine done and have no problems, except for people giving me pissed off looks when I go WOT

ohh and the cat isn't no where near the firewall if I remember

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
i smell a rat!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
i smell bs i put mine on with no prob go kick em in there junk

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
A lot, and I mean A LOT of 6.0 rigs run straight pipes without any issues with the turbo. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
Whoever you're talking to doesn't know much about the 6.0 or the VGT turbo. The back pressure or lack of it won't hurt a thing, the turbo has variable vanes and can make its own (if its even needed). I have an MBRP with a cat delete and the fit was real good. Its not going to harm your turbo.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
How is a cat delete going to hit the firewall when the cat is to the rear of the transmission crossmember? That is just BS. Now a 4" downpipe might rattle some. I just put one in my 05 with a Magnaflow catback and the 4" downpipe went right in. I am having an issue with the downpipe hitting the pinch weld on the lower part of the firewall. If I can't adjust it out I'll fold the pinch weld over some. It is no big deal.

·
Served Our Country!
196 Posts
How is a cat delete going to hit the firewall when the cat is to the rear of the transmission crossmember? That is just BS.
Ding ding ding! We have a winnah!

Either the kid at 4WP doesn't know WTF he's talking about, or he's trying to screw you over. I suspect a bit of both.

Plus, the MBRP system is super easy to install in your driveway, you could probably do it in an hour or so, while having a beer.

I'm another guy with a MBRP turbo-back system with the cat deleted, and have had no issues.

·
Registered
81 Posts
MBRP with cat delete, no problems here. Just do the turbo back/cat delete, you will be happy you did.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Ding ding ding! We have a winnah!

Either the kid at 4WP doesn't know WTF he's talking about, or he's trying to screw you over. I suspect a bit of both.

Plus, the MBRP system is super easy to install in your driveway, you could probably do it in an hour or so, while having a beer.

I'm another guy with a MBRP turbo-back system with the cat deleted, and have had no issues.
I do not think Banks is selling as much as they used to, Maybe there is a "SALESMAN'S SPIFF" on Banks products Through the distributor, I know some of my trailer and boat manufactures set up spiff programs throughout the year when individual products are not moving, And let's face it most of us buy MBPR because 4" pipe is 4" pipe. But I would never FIB about a certain product to move another.
I would put money on this. It looks like Banks has:hehe:
Why would the Rep say such a thing, Usually if somebody does not know squat. They don't say anything at all. Especially if it would hinder a potential sale.
Why don't everyone who subscribed to this thread call 4wheel part wed and see what kind of response we get on this issue. Approach as if you have decided to install 4" on a 6.0L. We'll do a little ORG experiment.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
But MBPR's 4" system starts out with a 3 1/2" downpipe. That downpipe should have absolutely zero issues contacting anything and be a snap to install. It really was much more work getting the stock downpipe off of the turbo than installing my new 4". There are fare too many people running the MBPR with the cat delete for there to be issues with it.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
i have the mprp straight piped with the cat delete...there was no problem when i put mine on. and the only problem i have with my truck is when i drive past people the middle fingers and dirty looks i get

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yea something smells bad..lol The MBRP is a well fitting system and with the cat delete you could swap back the factory cat in about 5 minutes for state inspection visual/smog

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. I knew it sounded fishy, but since I don't know much yet, I thought I would ask...

I like the idea of everyone called 4wp... of course, it could have just been the guy was misinformed... It was one of those "well my buddy said"... type things.

Anyway, thinks for clearing things up. I'm ordering my new 4" MBRP 409 SS Turbo back with Cat Delete before the end of the week!

Daryl

·
Registered
274 Posts
MBRP IS Awsome I have put a couple on without any fitment troubles

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have an '04 6.0 I put a 4 inch mbrp TB set up with a cat delete pipe on my truck last week. The cat delete pipe is no where near the firewall.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts