Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend bought me a 4" turbo back exhaust from MBRP weeks ago and me and my friends spent 4 hours trying to get that downpipe in but no luck.

I called nearby 4wheelparts and a few other shops and they just said it's just a pain in the ***.

I would love the feeling of actually installing the exhaust system myself but this downpipe has kicked my *** lol

I'm planning on trying again tomorrow morning or sometime soon cause my friends got mad i left the exhaust in the garage and it's taking up space and now it's taking up my bed space.

My main issue that my friends also said was the downpipe getting caught on the frame or transmission crossmember or it just plain won't fit in where the stock one was.

I plan on trying taking out the transmission crossmember and having as many jacks and jackstands and some straps hold the transmission up. (im very stubborn with giving up and this is probably very idiotic)

I just really want to get this exhaust in and I don't have the time or money to have some install it for me.

·
aussie=effie
286 Posts
MBRP

I got the mbrp 4 inch but same as you the downpipe was fouling the gearbox.
refiited original downpipe into the rest 4 inch and is very sweet

·
Registered
114 Posts
I did mine by myself and had quite a time, but it can be done... Just have patience. Also, u shouldn't have to remove anything. It would be helpful to have a friend working with u to twist and hold it where u need it so u can get that clamp over the turbo n downpipe.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did mine by myself and had quite a time, but it can be done... Just have patience. Also, u shouldn't have to remove anything. It would be helpful to have a friend working with u to twist and hold it where u need it so u can get that clamp over the turbo n downpipe.

At one point, a nearby shop told me there may be a couple bolts i have to cut that hold the firewall.

Other than that, every way we twist the pipe, it gets caught mainly on the frame or the transmission crossmember.
I can't figure out how this is suppose to go in lol.

I try looking up detailed pictures or videos but there never seems to be one of the actual down pipe installation, it always skips that part.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well i just installed my 4" downpipe from diamond eye and i removed my old one and had my new one in place in prolly like 10 mins. Something must not be right bout it at all.

Any way you can post some pics of the downpipe you received??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i just installed my 4" downpipe from diamond eye and i removed my old one and had my new one in place in prolly like 10 mins. Something must not be right bout it at all.

Any way you can post some pics of the downpipe you received??
I'll take a pic of it right now.

I'm still new to this site so...how do I post pics? lol

This is what I got exactly from 4wheelparts.
My truck is a 2000 F250 SuperCab ShortBed if that helps at all but these exhaust come universal I believe other than cutting the extension pipe.
I can get everything on in 2 minutes other than that downpipe. I've down several exhaust systems but all cat backs, this turbo back is a first.

MBRP Part S6200AL - MBRP Installer Series Turbo Back Single Side Exit Exhaust System
http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/pdf.ashx?pdf=instructions s6200.pdf&line=MBR

·
Powered by Coors Light
282 Posts
Man I feel like something must be wrong with your order. My dad and I knocked this out in less than an hour. I remember the down pipe being tough, but we did not have to do anything like removing cross members.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man I feel like something must be wrong with your order. My dad and I knocked this out in less than an hour. I remember the down pipe being tough, but we did not have to do anything like removing cross members.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I don't think it is the wrong order cause in the box it came in, it has 7.3 instructions and the parts look exactly like the diagram online.

I'm going to try again soon but this time I'll try from below cause everytime I tried with friends, I was the one ontop trying to guide it in, and i'm the only one among my friends that know about diesels so that might be factor lol

But they keep telling me it's not going to work cause it keeps getting caught on the frame or something

·
Oregon Redneck
337 Posts
I had the same problem took me a couple hours by myself to get it in. I was about to give up, then all the sudden she gave in and the down pipe went right into place.

Good luck hope ya get it in there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I did mine myself. Took me a couple hours. I took a 2x4 and wrapped it in a towel, and wedged it between the downpipe and the frame to hold it in place. Took a couple tries of doing that and resting it on the tranny crossmember and I got it. It was a pain but can be done. Just keep at it and try to finesse it and you'll get it. Good luck!

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah I uses a tree stump and a few cut up branches... It's all I had to lift it and hold it in place... Thankfully I had just cut down a tree the day before the install. Lol... Definitely tested my patience though! I sat down next to the truck afterward and had me a cold bud! I finished it all up and wiped it down in about 2hrs... Man the stainless is soooo purdy!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
That happen to me.
I went to install it and fought for two hours. Nex day. It only took a friend 10 seconds to get it up in there.
Sounds sweet

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lay the two downpipes next to each other and check the bends just to make sure its the same. You shouldn't have to be fighting with it that much, have a friend help you.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I've spent two hours struggling with my 4" SS MBRP downpipe and I'm not even close. I've got a 2001 F250 6 speed and between the transmission and the firewall I just can't seem to find the "sweet spot". My retailer, Thoroughbred Diesel in Ky. said it goes in from the top but I believe he's confusing brands. Here's a good laugh, the lady at MBRP said I have to "massage" the firewall a bit. Massaging is about all I can do with 5" of hammer swing.

·
Registered
935 Posts
This is a very intersting thread. I do not see why there are so many issues. 4" down-pipe goes in with plenty of room and only takes a few seconds. IIRC you have to kind of twist the pipe as you are working it up.
Also the down-pipe goes in from the bottom. My truck sits fairly low for a 4x4 and I did it without jacking it up etc. The exhaust instructions also say to cut out the old exhaust, etc. I pulled my old exhaust out in 1 piece.

Best of luck to those who have issues, but honestly its not very difficult.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
This is a very intersting thread. I do not see why there are so many issues. 4" down-pipe goes in with plenty of room and only takes a few seconds. IIRC you have to kind of twist the pipe as you are working it up.
Also the down-pipe goes in from the bottom. My truck sits fairly low for a 4x4 and I did it without jacking it up etc. The exhaust instructions also say to cut out the old exhaust, etc. I pulled my old exhaust out in 1 piece.

Best of luck to those who have issues, but honestly its not very difficult.
Are we talking about the same model truck (2001 7.3 F250 6 Speed)? MBRP 4" SS down pipe. There is a bump on the transmission that keeps the install from being a simple job. I cut the old stock down pipe out but I'll check the bends on it. Maybe I have a mfg. defect in the bend or something.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Are we talking about the same model truck (2001 7.3 F250 6 Speed)? MBRP 4" SS down pipe. There is a bump on the transmission that keeps the install from being a simple job. I cut the old stock down pipe out but I'll check the bends on it. Maybe I have a mfg. defect in the bend or something.
Mine is a 6 sp.
Bingo, I finally found the sweet spot. Busted by finger but it did go in. A few more instruction on where to start would have been very helpful. My instructions said install the down pipe. Will.....duh! The rest of the system went in O.K. Had to cut a section to match my wheel base. This lead to hangers not lining up but overall it seems like a pretty solid instillation.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Bingo, I finally found the sweet spot. Busted by finger but it did go in. A few more instruction on where to start would have been very helpful. My instructions said install the down pipe. Will.....duh! The rest of the system went in O.K. Had to cut a section to match my wheel base. This lead to hangers not lining up but overall it seems like a pretty solid instillation.
Oh, BTW...all the info from MBRP and my retailer was totally worthless. Hard to believe people doing this every day can't be more helpful.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts