Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a diesel since I sold my truck and I might get a 6.4 and I have heard good and bad about them and I was hoping some of yall could help out. I know alot more about cummins than I do the powerstroke. I know the 6.4 can make some good power with a few mods. The truck im looking at is an 08 with 45k on it and some of my friends say that there are 3 different jobs to look for and not to buy job 1 since thats when they had all the fuel problems and stuff. ( Is that true). Anything would help me at this point. I just want a truck that is going to last me and not cause me any problems.

Thanks, Trevor

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
There was an issue on some job 1 trucks with the injectors, but it was a small batch and most likely, all have been replaced.

Otherwise, there's not much difference between them other then some minor things like adding TPMS on job 2, larger air dam on job 3, etc. Otherwise, they are the same. Just make sure all TSB's have been addressed, and you should be fine.

Speaking of how easy it is to mod, it's also very easy to hide from the next owner. So you could be inheriting a problem if the previous owner didn't treat it well. There are things to look for to tell if it has been tuned like soot in the exhaust tips. Tool marks on the bolts/nuts that hold the CAT to the down pipe, the exhaust hangers to the frame respectively.

Sent from my LTEVO using AutoGuide.com app.

·
Registered
306 Posts
job 1's had an external tranny filter and jobs 2&3 dont....dont know if thats good or bad.

·
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere
1,898 Posts
I have a Job 2 2008 and have not had any problems. I am very mod happy tho. Check out my thread in my signature and I'll prove it to you lol.

If you treat these trucks right and do regular maintenance they will treat you right. But that is the same for any modern diesel (i.e. ones with all the required emissions).

And speaking of emissions, if you can remove them, do it. It makes it so much better. However, some states/counties require annual or biannual emissions checks so you would have to change it back to stock. I don't know where you live, but I would check into it.

If you have any other questions, post up. There are plenty of knowledgeable people on this forum willing to help

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have a Job 2 2008 and have not had any problems. I am very mod happy tho. Check out my thread in my signature and I'll prove it to you lol.

If you treat these trucks right and do regular maintenance they will treat you right. But that is the same for any modern diesel (i.e. ones with all the required emissions).

And speaking of emissions, if you can remove them, do it. It makes it so much better. However, some states/counties require annual or biannual emissions checks so you would have to change it back to stock. I don't know where you live, but I would check into it.

If you have any other questions, post up. There are plenty of knowledgeable people on this forum willing to help
Ditto ditto ditto. Country knows what he is talking about. This will be the best truck of its era. I Have no doubt. Listen to folks like country, read his/their threads and u will be a very happy 6.4 owner. My 2 cents.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The truck was built 08/07. I've looked around and that's the job 2 if im correct. Yea if I get this truck im going to dpf delete and egr delete. Now all I would have to decide is Spartan or h&s

·
1,898 Posts
The truck was built 08/07. I've looked around and that's the job 2 if im correct. Yea if I get this truck im going to dpf delete and egr delete. Now all I would have to decide is Spartan or h&s
Yes that's a job 2. I'm pretty sure mine is 10/07 but I haven't looked in a while.

An that's the big question now isn't it! lol there have been more than a few threads on the subject and they seem to always down spiral into 'mine is better.' I don't think you can go wrong with either. It's just personal preference. But be aware once you go big power you will want to go bigger. And then you have to pay to play if you wanna stay driving. These trucks can take a lot, but you have a potential of doubling power output with just a tune.

Also Wilson is right. I believe that tuned and deleted this engine is just as reliable as the 7.3s. They won't take the kind of owner abuse however and REQUIRE regular maintenance (my roommates dad has a '99 7.3 and e doesn't remember the last time he changed the oil...). Take care of the truck and it will take care of you. Once the 7.3s finally get tired and people decide 900k+ miles is too much to buy a truck with I think the demand for these 6.4s are going to skyrocket. Now everyone wants 5.9s and 7.3s because they don't like change and I think a lot of people don't quite understand the new engines. Either people will start getting 6.0s and bulletproofing or they will skip them completely for the 6.4s and 6.7s (Cummins and Powerstroke) and just tune and delete. I think tune/deletes(dpf/doc/egr)/intake and a small tune and these trucks will run a very long time.

Sent from a phone smarter than me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a little update so y'all tell me what you think.

I got the VIN and went to the dealer and got the OASIS report done and all it said was radiator assembly was done a couple months ago. The guy at the dealer said it was probably a O ring had to be replaced. The truck has 45k on it. What do y'all think?? The dealer guy said its a hit or miss with the 6.4.

The owener of the truck said it has been flashed with the latest software from ford.

·
1,898 Posts
Radiators leaking in these trucks is a known issue. When they replaced the hoses did the put the updated double O ring design? 45k miles is very low for these trucks. If you can get a good deal on it enjoy your new PSD.

Btw have any pics of the truck?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Stupid question but I just got an 08 and just wondering how to tell if it job 1 2 or 3. I'm assuming by manufacture date

2004 f250, dual 5" chrome stacks 285/75/16 at 10 ply, Vivian's looney (awesome) duplicolor spray bed liner on my rockers and fender lip 10" high

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
country summed it up...dont be afraid of job 1 mine is a 01/07 probably one os the first off the line i wish I could find out and i am more then happy about it but the biggest thing is delete and maintain maintain maintain!!!!

·
Registered
872 Posts
zero issues out of my Job 1 08... build date 04/07... love it every time i get in it and start it up Follow the "severe duty" maintenence schedule, tune/delete with a mild tune.. you'll have one heck of a truck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Radiators leaking in these trucks is a known issue. When they replaced the hoses did the put the updated double O ring design? 45k miles is very low for these trucks. If you can get a good deal on it enjoy your new PSD.

Btw have any pics of the truck?

If you give me your email I can email them to you. The report didn't say if it was double. Owner of the truck said his buddy and the dealer hooked him up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
zero issues out of my Job 1 08... build date 04/07... love it every time i get in it and start it up Follow the "severe duty" maintenence schedule, tune/delete with a mild tune.. you'll have one heck of a truck.

Your truck looks very good man. I love the way the 6.4s look.

·
1,898 Posts
If you give me your email I can email them to you. The report didn't say if it was double. Owner of the truck said his buddy and the dealer hooked him up.
Just post some on the forum... That way you can have a few extra eyes look at it and see if they notice something that was missed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts