Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I have no intention of starting a 7.3 vs 6.0 war but I do have some concerns. History - my 2000 7.3L F350 Crew Cab 4X4 Lariat was taken out buy a guy who ran a red light. Insurance totaled the truck. Heartbroken, I've been looking for 3 months in Southern California for a 2000 to 2003 replacement 7.3L and I'm not having much luck finding a duplicate truck that's worth picking up for a reasonable price. I've been seeing lots of 6.0L powerstrokes that would fit the bill but I'm hesitant to go that route. My buddy had an '03 that gave him some issues but he also has an '06 that has been a good truck. What do I need to know about the 6.0 that would help me make a decision on a truck? Or should I keep on looking for a 7.3L to pop up?

·
Registered
771 Posts
If you can... hold out for a 7.3 that is good quality reasonable deal...

If not get a late model 6. ohhhhh

·
Registered
203 Posts
I bought this truck (seen below) for 22,500 out the door. It needs a new tailgate though. My advice to you would be to find as late of a model as possible (03 and 04 6.0s are plagued with problems.

I didn't need 4wd or the longbed, which add about $2200 to the value of the truck, for what it's worth. If you don't need to buy it immediately, wait around to find a really good deal on one.
[img=http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/1213/valuecv2.th.jpg]

At the end of the day, it's still somewhat of a crapshoot. When buying used, no one is going to let you load up a 10k lb trailer and floor it up a hill to test if the EGR system works. It's probably worth taking it to a mechanic if you're seriously considering buying it

·
Registered
786 Posts
The place I baught my truck from sold an 05 King ranch with 90m for 22k. crew...

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
ILL SELL YOU MY 00 7.3L

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
No offense to 6.0ers but the 7.3 has proven it has less problems. It also depends on what you are doing with it I mean if you want an extra hundred horses with no mods then that'd be a 6.0 but I personally would rather have a 7.3 for a bunch of reasons. Not only reliability but just as much all the EPA/emissions crap, and to get rid of that would cost more money. And if you end up spending all your money on a 6.0 that has much more chance of being a problem truck you'll be kicking yourself for not being patient on a 7.3 since it seems that's what you really want. :icon_ford:

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I think id buy a 6.0. but i would also dump a crap load of money into like my 7.3, which would elimate alot fo the big problem areas on the 6.0. I just love the way they sound.... and there milliage is a dream boat

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I think id buy a 6.0. but i would also dump a crap load of money into like my 7.3, which would elimate alot fo the big problem areas on the 6.0. I just love the way they sound.... and there milliage is a dream boat
Yeah that's a good point. But like I said it depends what he's doin and what he's looking for. Both have their strongpoints. The 7.3 just has a few more! :icon_ford:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would go with the 6.0. Run an oasis and see what all has been done to it. That should tell you if its any good. So far are 03 & 07 6.0's have been flawless.

Don't be afraid of them..........

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I would go with the 6.0. Run an oasis and see what all has been done to it. That should tell you if its any good. So far are 03 & 07 6.0's have been flawless.

Don't be afraid of them..........
03 flawless :hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

I can show ya a 03 that spent 2 of its first 6 months at the dealership....thank god for warranty.. numerous egr's, 2 turbos, few injectors, and a bunch of electrical crap ....this truck was a headache for the first year we had it ... but so far so good now that all the bugs seem to be worked out

·
lifetime member
1,642 Posts
KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!!!!!!!! lol. my jan of 03 6.0 has 72,000 miles on the odometer, been lifted with 37's all its life, and had a chip or tuner on high all its life, and the only engine work was alternator 1 year ago and icp sensor last week. i run the @#%^%#$^&& out of it. don't be scared of the 6.0. if you find a good one you will love it, but it will take some searching.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I'll be honest, I have access to both a 7.3 and a 6.0

the 7.3 is mine its a longbed crew cab with 175k miles on it, it runs like a top and gets decent (16-18mpg) mileage.

the 6.0 is a friend of mine 52k on the clock, hes a truck driver so I keep it moving for him, taking it to work every other day or so

my opinion look for a 7.3, yes his 6.0 would clean my clock in a drag race, but I just don't trust it, he bought it and 1 week later it was back at the dealership getting headgaskets replaced. My 7.3 never knock on wood has had an issue, I love that truck to death and its getting better around town mileage than his crew cab short bed 6.0

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
seven three all the way !!!!!!!!!

no ifs ands or buts about it :) sure the 6.0 has more power but it don't get as good fuel mileage or near as reliable ...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts