Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I shut down my PSD I can stand near the tailpipe and hear what sounds like worn bearings in the turbo slowing to a halt. Takes about 10 secs from the time I get around back til it stops. I can feel the turbo pushing air out the pipe at the same decreasing rate as the sound.

My question is... do the 7.3L turbos normally make a sound you can hear through the tailpipe or is my turbo shot or nearly shot? It sounds like noisy ball bearings as it slows down.

I've had a number of turbo cars and know what turbos sound like under the hood..but this tailpipe noise is new to me..as is my 2000 PSD.

BTW it has 120,000 miles and is all original. No tuners, chips etc. that I know of.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
easy visual check: take off the tube that leads from your airbox to the turbo. see if the wheel seems to be in good shape, no missing blades, dents, dings. my truck does make turbo noise after truck is shut off, but not for ten seconds or more. and a sound that sounds like worn bearings? can't help you there.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,273 Posts
im thinkin its probably normal turbo noise. Since there is air flowing through the exhaust when the truck idling, the turbo is still spinning. so when you shut it off it just has to slow to a stop. 10 seconds seems like a long time but im no expert on these trucks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts