Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local chevy dealer took this 04 F250 Crew Cab in on trade. 68K miles. FX4, XLT etc etc. Super clean inside, out and underneath. Not a scratch in the bed. Interior rivals brand new. 22,500 their first offer to me from 24,900. I'm thinking of telling them 20,000 take it or leave it.

It was sold new at the local Ford dealership. The OASIS was very clean with only a reflash update last year. They were familiar with the truck and said it was OK.

There are no leaks anywhere. All looks dry underneath, so thats good. Runs fine, shifts fine etc. I'm not used to them...but the truck cranked for 2 seconds before firing off. Is that normal? Runs good with no smoke on startup. Then again its 85 degrees here in Indiana.

The engine had a tag on the pass valve cover saying "2003 Engine etc etc".

So is this more like an 03 than an 04? I figure with 68K on the clock and no problems...maybe its a decent one that might last??? I wanted black...but silver is OK too on a Ford.

Attachments

·
Rebel
657 Posts
I would say 20k isn't to bad. Yes its worth more but i would offer less than 20 and let them come back to you. You no the way car market on diesel are right now is they don't have 20k in that truck. I was offered 13k for a 04 with 90k on it and that was the highest i got offered. Just my 02 :thumb:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
i say offer 18 and then go from there .....looks like a nice truck

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
The market for f250's is really depressed right now.As dealers are currently maximising their profit on econocars right now and offering pathetic tradeins for larger vehicles. I would not hesitate to be stubborn on a purchase and look around. On the east coast it is a buyers market on larger pickups.
Just this morning, a veteranaian aquaintence of mine pulled up my driveway in an 03/04 PSD.
He has 178,000 trouble free,unmodded miles. One reflash during routine maintenace.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice truck. Drove it for a while. Love the interior. BUT NO DEAL!!!

They won't budge off their 22500. I flat out told them "who else is going to walk in here and buy this for that???"

I got the good ole..."well people still have to pull 17000 LB trailers and they will still buy the trucks no matter what fuel costs etc etc etc etc etc etc"

Then they slapped the good ole little dealers book on the table and started telling me how 6 months ago it was worth 28000. So on and so forth.

I just laughed and walked out. On my way out they said "21500 lets do it now!". I said "that wont pay for the tires it needs" and kept walking. I'd have paid 20. But not a penny more.

It'll sit there like every single of the 100 trucks they have on the lot. This is one of those dealers who has 50 sales people and 500 cars. Their inventory moves SLOW because their prices are so high. Then they knock off 3000 and dummies think they got a great deal. Yet it was over priced by 5000.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
20K is a smart offer, And you would be in the truck right.

Good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Let them keep it if they won't bargain

That dealer probably low-balled the previous owner. Sounds like a nice truck (just like mine!) and, in a "normal" market, would be worth every bit of what they're asking.

I had my truck to the dealer yesterday just out of curiosity as to what they'd do on a trade for a brand new equivilent.

Low-ball time, boys.

"About $13,500" was their answer.

Forget that. I'll keep mine, and they can keep theirs. Difference is, mine's paid for.

I bet they don't have $15,000 in that truck.

That's where I'd start, and make them put some good tires on it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya...the previous owner really took superb care of it. No mods either. The interior was perfect. I don't think he even ever put anything in the center console. It looks totally unused. The carpet is flawless. It has power pedals, and security keyless pad on the door. Lots of things like that. The owner had put all paperwork in the glovebox including the window sticker. It was $43,500 in 2004. So it was near top of the line.

I'll write them a $20K offer. But I bet they don't take it.

The only concern I had was this. To me...a properly running 6.0L has a unique sound. Especially at idle. Its unlike the 7.3L. In other words...if you blindfold me...I can usually tell which is the 6 and which is the 7.3.

To me this truck sounded like a 7.3 at idle. Just sounded slower and deeper than most 6.0L I've heard. Is that normal or does ECM programming cause different injection pattens for the newer 6.0L's?

Plus this too. I could sometimes smell exhaust with the AC on and sitting still. And under the hood...I kept smelling blowby or fumes from the engine. More than I thought normal. But the engine is not oily at all.

I've driven a 06 F350 6.0L and it just sounded totally different than this 6.0L. I want to make sure the injectors are not going south.

Finally...at idle, AC on or off, the truck was making a pattern of noise. For about 20 seconds it would sound normal...then for 20 seconds it would change tone in the intake tract. Kinda like someone was turning on an exhaust brake and causing a little more noise through the intake. Kinda like a deeper tone. Then back to a more smooth sound. Then back again to deep. Is that normal??? It was like clockwork and never varied. Kinda maybe coming from the turbo area...at least the intake tract.

·
Rebel
657 Posts
I bet they call you.. No longer than 2 weeks.. Will see.. Good luck..:thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts