Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last friday on my way to school my water in fuel light came on, but went off in about 5 miles. Truck ran fine the hole time. Wednesday morning turned my lights on and my passanger headlight looked dim, I hit the high beams and back to normal then both lights were both fine. Past two mornings the truck has been very slow at istarting, seems like it cranks and cranks but eventually starts. The truck is parked with the bed a little up hill and the front down hill(dont know if this makes a difference) Also noticed last night that its blowing some black smoke but not much.(I do have a superchip installed on it but maybe just never noticed it)
about middle of july i replaced the alternator but since replaced the battery light keeps blinking, so I checked both batteries both have a 12.5V at no start, 13.8V at idle then 14.8 at 2000rpm with headlights, radio and heater running.

Anyone make anything out of this?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
alright I got home from school and placed my multimeter on my gpr. the left post with red/black or orange/black wire gave me a reading anywhere from 0.9 to 12.6. I was never consistent, then had my girlfriend turn the key to the wait to start light came on. The opposite post from the constant hot read 0 and I also never heard it click like it normal did.
Next thing is what color is diesel fuel? amber right? mine was a amber color but looked like it had a bluish tint to it.

·
Registered
999 Posts
First off, you probably should have your batteries load tested. You can have it done at almost any auto parts stores.

If you have a bad battery, it can still show good voltage, but not be able to put out the amps needed to start the truck.

If your batteries test good, more than likely your starter is dieing. I just had the same problem with mine. Once I knew my batteries were good, I ordered the DB Electrical high torque starter for mine. She starts like a dream now and a lot faster than it ever did before.

If your "Water in Fuel" light came on, drain the fuel bowl. You do this by opening the yellow drain valve on the front passenger side of the fuel bowl.

Road diesel has a green tint to it. If your fuel has a red tint to it, then it is off road diesel. If you are running off road diesel, don't get caught or your will have a nice hefty fine from not only DOT, but from the IRS as well. Off-road (red) diesel fuel doesn't have the road fuel tax on it like the On-road (green) diesel does.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My starter is a little over a year old but mine is from napa.ill go get them tested tomorrow hopefully before work.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ain't that a possible ground issue? Also look at the cable end that goes from the alternator. Mine was frayed and barely there but I didn't realize it until I replaced the alternator. Hope it all works out well for ya.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well stopped at napa on my way to work, they didnt have anything to load test it with but they checked my cranking amps. they said I had plenty of cranking amps. but today the truck started fine at my house in pa, its I just have problems with it when Im at my other house in maryland. Im really hoping its not an electrical problem. I know the the glow plugs are old if the p.o never changed them, so that was my plan for next summer. But does it matter if your vehicle is sitting level when parked for long periods of time?

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Have you and whoever did it tested the batts INDIVIDUALLY?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im sorry but what do you mean by individually? he tested them one at a time but they were still in the truck hooked up.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Then it wasn't done right.
When you hook more than one battery together, and their positive ends are all tied together, and their neg are all tied together, then they are in parallel. Meaning the system stays at 12V (or whatever voltage the batts are) and they combine their amperages (2 750A batts = 1 1500A batt, more or less, but you get the idea.) These are tied in parallel. So testing the batts while hooked together is just testing it as one big batt. Test each one unhooked. Remove the positive from one and they will then be separated.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea i know what you mean. i dont know why I didn't think about that. I was talking to my dads buddy because he used to have a 95. He was telling the only problems he ever had was the GPR relay.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what about the baro sensor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts