Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont get me wrong, i love my ford but im the verge of getting rid of it. This will be the second time that i will have had to do this 2500 dollar repair and i hope its the last. My manuel locking hub for the 4x4 on the drivers side keeps going from free to lock on me for no reason. this results in a lot of damage to the front end. After the first repair, i replaced the oem lockers with some from super winch so that it would be a little stronger. i guess that didnt help much. does anyone else have this problem or know anything about a recall. from the people i have talked to so far, i guess im not the only one. the truck is a 2001 ford f350 with a 7.3L. also, if there is no fixing this, im going to just yank out the shafts out of the front axel and disconnect it from the trans so its a hollow axel. Does anyone know if this is going to hurt anything other than the 4wd not being able to be used? thanks everybody!
:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well thats what i thought at first, but now ill leave somewhere, check to make sure its in the free mode, then get to where im going and look at it again and its in lock. it was doing the same thing last time too.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hmm, I have never heard of one doing that. Do you have the on the fly 4wd knob on your dash? If so, Does it work?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i have that, the switch on the dash then you have to turn the hubs. its the electronic switch not the floor stick. im just confused cause this is the second time its happened to me.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Before I pulled the axle shafts I'd check all the vacuum lines and electrics. If I still couldn't find it, I'd take the hub splines out until I could figure it out.

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it doesnt do damage if both are locked, when only one locks up while your driving then the problems start to arise. thats whats happening to mine.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
how does going from free to lock cause alot of damage? I keep mine in lock all winter
Imagine revving up your truck in neutral and slamming it into drive. I'm guessing since it's happening while driving it is essentially blowing the splines to hell when the hub slides over and locks while spinning.:doh:

·
Registered
179 Posts
yes i can see what you guys are saying, i didnt realize it was locking up at highway speed. So the auto part of the hub must lock up differently than the manual lock because i have heard you can use your 4x4 selector switch up to like 50 mph?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts