Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there any way you could take control of how open or closed the turbo is? besides just unpluging it. I feel like mine is staying too far closed and it is causing too much back pressure. I have 5" stacks and no cat or muffler so you can tell when it is open or closed.:thumb: It also does the vgt relearn whenever it feels like so it might be a problem. Watching livelink hooked up to my livewire, it will jump up to 32 pounds of boost before it really even starts to open up the turbo, then has a powerband like an old 2 stroke dirt bike. I don't know, this truck has some wierd problems. If anybody else has noticed this I'm really curious if thats why some trucks run only 25 pounds and others up to 32. And the mpg diferences. Also why can't you monitor the EBP sensor? is it completly ignored by the computer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I worded that kinda goofy. What I mean is electronicly control with a knob type of deal. it would be hard to run it everyday like that, but just for testing would it be possible? I don't fully know what the computer is looking for to control it, but to me it seems at a crusing speeds the vanes could be pretty much wide open. otherwise its like running an exhaust brake while cruising. I might be thinking too much about absolute nonsense though.

·
Registered
512 Posts
All I know is that you can put an on/off switch by splicing one of the wires on the plug. You probably could put a pot trim on it, which will allow you to control the amount of volts that are being sent to it which might allow you to control the vanes positioning.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fleece performance

I just got done watching xtreme 4x4 and they built a duramax gmc and put a fleece performance turbo brake on it. I think that is what I was was talking about. So I went to check it out but they only have them for the duramax. Does any body know what the difference is. I might try to email fleece and see if they will make one for the powerstroke.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I worded that kinda goofy. What I mean is electronicly control with a knob type of deal. it would be hard to run it everyday like that, but just for testing would it be possible? I don't fully know what the computer is looking for to control it, but to me it seems at a crusing speeds the vanes could be pretty much wide open. otherwise its like running an exhaust brake while cruising. I might be thinking too much about absolute nonsense though.
they are closed at cruising speeds. More open at an idle then when you push the pedal down they close accordingly. I think you have a 2003 and if you're hearing your vanes cycle, that is normal. Don't worry about back pressure.
I just got done watching xtreme 4x4 and they built a duramax gmc and put a fleece performance turbo brake on it. I think that is what I was was talking about. So I went to check it out but they only have them for the duramax. Does any body know what the difference is. I might try to email fleece and see if they will make one for the powerstroke.
are you looking for an exhaust brake? You can have that written into a custom tune via an sct xcal3.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, not looking for an exhaust brake, just an excuse to do some more modifying. I just got a little exited when they showed that fleece performance deal. they said you could control boost preasure by controling how far the vanes opened or closed.I watched it over a few times and then started to think you could only control it as an exhaust brake, not as a boost controler, but im still looking. It was a little wierd when I've been trying to figure out how to control this and then seen that. Ive had mine hooked up to an oscilloscope to figure out the controls but not having luck on controling it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, well I'm still playing with this and have figured out a way to control it, but wanted to do some more "tests" to see how the computer would react. so it was finaly a calm night with no wind or rain so i figured I would see what happens. I had just extended the wires into the cab so I could turn it on or off for now. Had laptop with live link running and went to a flat stretch of road. Got it up to 65 and held it steady, pedal potition 25.5, 8.5-9 psi, EGT's 860-865, and I also reset mpg display once I got to steady speed, 15.4 MPG. That was after about 14 miles. Turned around and went back so I was going the same direction. Turned off vgt and ran it up to 65. Driving it like an old man, the truck "seemed" lighter. It got up to 65 pretty easily. Steady speed pedal position 19, 0.3-1 psi, EGT's 690-705, MPG 21.3:confused: That was the same road, same weather, same direction, just turned off vgt. I thought I just confused the mpg display, but how much less pedal I had to push it might be close. Also on the way back to town I kept the pedal at 25.5. with it on, 65mph, turned it off and I slowly got up to about 72mph. In town with it off It took almost no pedal to keep it at 25mph and display was showing 14.6MPG, usually I get 9.5-11MPG. I know it's not the most accurate testing, but I am just messing around with this thing. It works pretty good as long as you drive it like an old man, try to drive it like I normally do and it takes way to long to spool the turbo which is why I want to just adjust how far it closes or opens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, well I'm still playing with this and have figured out a way to control it, but wanted to do some more "tests" to see how the computer would react. so it was finaly a calm night with no wind or rain so i figured I would see what happens. I had just extended the wires into the cab so I could turn it on or off for now. Had laptop with live link running and went to a flat stretch of road. Got it up to 65 and held it steady, pedal potition 25.5, 8.5-9 psi, EGT's 860-865, and I also reset mpg display once I got to steady speed, 15.4 MPG. That was after about 14 miles. Turned around and went back so I was going the same direction. Turned off vgt and ran it up to 65. Driving it like an old man, the truck "seemed" lighter. It got up to 65 pretty easily. Steady speed pedal position 19, 0.3-1 psi, EGT's 690-705, MPG 21.3:confused: That was the same road, same weather, same direction, just turned off vgt. I thought I just confused the mpg display, but how much less pedal I had to push it might be close. Also on the way back to town I kept the pedal at 25.5. with it on, 65mph, turned it off and I slowly got up to about 72mph. In town with it off It took almost no pedal to keep it at 25mph and display was showing 14.6MPG, usually I get 9.5-11MPG. I know it's not the most accurate testing, but I am just messing around with this thing. It works pretty good as long as you drive it like an old man, try to drive it like I normally do and it takes way to long to spool the turbo which is why I want to just adjust how far it closes or opens.
Hey, I am wanting to control the vgt in the way that you want. Have u made any progress?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stroker1998, I haven't messed with that truck in close to 5 years now. It's been in storage shed waiting to be finished. Before I tore it apart I had tried a pwm controller I made, it would work good except when you flipped it back to ecu controlled it would take a while for computer to control it accurately. Which is the same with "smoke switch", could be why I was getting such a difference between off and on. It's been close to 10 years and a bunch of different projects since I was messing with this so I've forgot a lot of exact details.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wedge542, ford killed the ebp sensor in an update and that might be why it's not reading for you. I do remember that I was trying to read that at the time they tuned it out. Was getting it custom tuned back on for the Vgt compound setup, I've been out of the game so long not sure if somebody else got it solved or not!

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,675 Posts
That update was only for the 03 engines (called inferred EBP strategy or 06E17 action). For vehicles built prior to Sept 29,2003, not including E series.

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
Holy crap, an almost 10 year old thread is revived and the OP responds...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts