Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ZFS5-42 5 spd transmission. It's making a growling noise at low speeds between 1st, 2nd gear and reverse. It's sounds kinda like marbles in a bag. When I decelerate its ok, it only does it when i accelerate. We replaced the clutch with a complete kit made by Luk. The dual mass flywheel was changed to a solid flywheel under the recomendation of transmission professional. The truck has 128k on it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
was the dual mass bad? if so i could have taken out the front bearing of the tranny, It did on my truck. But that sounds like you have internal failerin in the tranny. Did you drain and fill the tranny befor this? if so did you put full syn fluid? I ask cuz i did this to my truck when i did the clutch i drained and refilled the fuild and asked the parks guy to find out what fuild i should use and he just told me atf not the syn. so 5k later i replaced the tranny.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Every 7.3 I have seen with a manual trans seems to do this if its the same thing Im thinking. If so mine does it, my mother inlaws idi does it and so does my father inlaws idi.

·
Registered
51 Posts
mine began making a similar noise as soon as i got rid of the dual mass, and has done it for 60,000 miles. From what i recall the dual mass was supposed to suppress some of the vibrations and noises from the trans, once you get rid of it, guess where the noise goes, in your truck. i wish i could record the noise and put it on here to see if we are talking about the same thing.

·
Registered
781 Posts
My tranny made all kinds of differnet sounds before she gave up. but when i put a new tranny in it made alot of sounds go away. but for the normal sounds of the zf5 i think mine only dose in when the rpms are very low. is this the same for everyone too?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I switched the 97 F450 at work to a single and it makes a little more noise also .. its really annoying if your in to high of a gear for the rpm ...

and my southbend does that in my zf6 too

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
My tranny made all kinds of differnet sounds before she gave up. but when i put a new tranny in it made alot of sounds go away. but for the normal sounds of the zf5 i think mine only dose in when the rpms are very low. is this the same for everyone too?
Thats when all of my zf5 trannys do it to.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have the same issue with my zf6. Growls at low rpms in 1st and 2nd. Is this something to worry about?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I've heard that was normal in the ZF-6's, mine growls at low RPM rolling in gear. Don't remember any odd noises from my old truck with the ZF-5 tho.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts