Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got electric brakes on my trailer, but to get them to engage...i actually have to reach down and push/pull the knob on the brake controller mounted under the dash. Although it works just fine, I think it could be dangerous or risky if it came to a situation that involved emergency braking. Having to watch the road, hit the truck brakes, lean down...hit the trailer brakes....blah, blah, blah. Would it be difficult to just change out the module? or would I have to rewire a whole new deal? I would like to have the automatic ones where you set the gain and it hits the trailer brakes for you.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
all you would have to do is cut the pigtail off the old unit and wire it to the new unit. Should be a very painless swap.

·
What u talkin bout willis
2,724 Posts
i think you should just be able to change it out

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you setting the level on them too? You do know that the controller has to be set up within a certain angle range or it wont work correctly. It will do exactly like you described it's doing.

They do have self leveling controllers now for about twice the price. Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional 90195 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com
Mine doesnt have a level setter or gain controller. Just the knob that you pull and as you do it, the brakes clamp down harder.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all you would have to do is cut the pigtail off the old unit and wire it to the new unit. Should be a very painless swap.
Thats what im hopin for. Now I gotta figure out which fancy new fangled automatic brake controller i want. :nod:

·
Registered
206 Posts
The Tekonsha Voyager is a pretty good one too - had it on 2 different trucks - works good - inexpensive to boot.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, i bid on it so i guess we'll see what happens! Closes in 2hrs

·
Super Moderator
19,444 Posts
drstephennix,

If you get the Prodigy or P3, you should be able to get a Ford specific wiring harness that will plug into the controller and the truck.

So...I don't know how your current one is wired, but installing the new one is a piece of cake. There is another thread here with pictures of where it connects to the truck. Look here - Second post down.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/towing-hauling-diesel-competition/50670-brake-controller-p3-prodigy-cant-decide.html

The connector is located below the radio in the middle section of the dash. Remove the cover below the steering wheel, the connect is inside the frame to right of the steering column.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
drstephennix,

If you get the Prodigy or P3, you should be able to get a Ford specific wiring harness that will plug into the controller and the truck.

So...I don't know how your current one is wired, but installing the new one is a piece of cake. There is another thread here with pictures of where it connects to the truck. Look here - Second post down.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/towing-hauling-diesel-competition/50670-brake-controller-p3-prodigy-cant-decide.html

The connector is located below the radio in the middle section of the dash. Remove the cover below the steering wheel, the connect is inside the frame to right of the steering column.
Thanks man! I haven't done anything yet. The ones I was bidding on got too high. Still looking for the right deal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts