Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as many of you know I'm looking at a 6.0 for a first car. I have my cab and configuration down. And before now I didn't see any reason to search extra hard for a manual trans and was more than happy with getting an auto.

So anyways I work at the local dodge dealership and occasionally I'd move a car around but it was always an auto so it wasn't a big deal. But the other day one of the guys that work in the back told me to go outside with him. I did and he told me to move a PT Cruiser that was sitting right there. So I get in and realize it was a stick. So I gave it a go and amazingly I didn't stall it or anything! And it was fun even though I only went about 50 feet.

So it got me thinking do you guys think its worth it to look for a manual trans or just stick with an auto since manuals are pretty hard to find? And how are the two transmissions as far as toughness goes?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to what you guys have to say

·
Registered
902 Posts
A manual is the way to go for reliability. How often are you gonna sit in traffic because a manual will get old real quick

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think that the stick is much stronger and I think you get better MPG and better control with a stick. That is just my thoughts.

·
Registered
243 Posts
id kill for a manual... but harder and harder to find... pisses me off that you cant even get a 2012 with a manual now.. whats the world coming to!

·
Registered
693 Posts
i like having a manual for a few reasons, but they do suck in city traffic, your leg will be sick of it pretty quick. But they are hard to find. even more so on a 6.0 i think. i would say just look for them and if you cant find one, dont sweat it. if you can get a torque shift tranny they are pretty tough.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Manual isnt as nice to have on this platform compared to say Dodge since we actually have a really good stock auto trans.

Jason

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats the thing I wouldn't trade getting a nice reliable truck with an auto for getting a truck with bad deltas with a manual. And from what I hear the torqshifts are really good trannys in these trucks.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL while selling cummins but dreaming of powerstrokes!

·
Registered
417 Posts
the manual is no problem in traffic, put it in second and chug along. torque is a wonderful thing. you want hard to find, i have a manual 2wd. BTW you haven't been able to get a stick since mid 09. only dodge has one now, still not enough to make me buy a dodge.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anyone else ever going to drive it? Sometimes that makes a difference to people. How about towing? Not that towing is hard, but slow speed maneuvering is a pain to some. I love manuals, but I'm not sure how much I'd like slow delicate maneuvers off road or over curbs. That said, my car is a manual and I drive in traffic every day. Its got a stiffer clutch, but doesn't bother me. There is nothing like the torque of a diesel connected to a manual, it is fun.

·
Registered
417 Posts
i can idle up my hill in 1st with a 10000lb trailer, and nobody will drive my truck. you dont do a whole lot delicate maneuvers in a 22 ft long truck.

·
spool up that turbo!!
2,008 Posts
Idk about this delicate business but I'd rather maneuver a load with a manual then an auto and traffic really isn't that bad at all

iPhone auto correcting incorrectly like a boss

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Manual is the way to go all day long, stronger and more control. If you plan on being off paved roads and/or in hilly areas a manual is worlds nicer to drive. Saves brakes and you can stay in the RPMs that pull the best uphills. As far as slow/delecate manuvers, Granny gear in 4lo is like a 50:1 ratio at the axle; Leave the hubs unlocked if you need to turn tight. Requires manual hubs. Manual everything is better if you (the driver) knows how to use your truck. (well, auto door locks/windows and cruise control would be nice)

Definitely hard to find. I probably looked at around 1000 trucks between in person and online, and maybe found 5 or so in the configuration I wanted. But it only took a couple months and I got what I wanted.

·
Registered
693 Posts
i like my manual for all the reasons listed plus i like it for stupid reasons like, starter goes out... no problem here comes a roll start... or if i have to tow it for some reason i dont have to worry about how fast or how far and the tranny will be fine. i also get annoyed with how an auto shifts it seems like when the cruise is set it will always upshift right before a hill or lug the motor too much thru town... i love the control of the manual.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I've driven both, with the 6.0 i prefer the auto. With a Cummins i prefer a stick, the power delivery of the two engines couldnt be more different and the Cummins lends itself to a stick better than the 6.0 does.

Jason

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
I've had 15 dodge diesels... I was stuck on manual transmissions until I had my first built auto.

my 6.4 has an auto and I love it, but I hated the H&S trans tuning when I was up in the mountains above 8k

but now that I have the ability to write my own trans tunes, I'm all auto again

a properly built/tuned automatic will do exactly what you want faster than you can do it manually

back in the day, I was 100% manual

But these days, manuals are old tech... I'm sure a lot of you die hard manual guys use email, right? why not just use US Postal Service? :confused:

·
spool up that turbo!!
2,008 Posts
I drive truck i don't feel right with an auto and I use a falcon to send my mail actually

iPhone auto correcting incorrectly like a boss

1 - 20 of 38 Posts