Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y’all! I just bought a 96 F350 XLT 7.3L
im curious as to what maintenance I need to keep up with on the 7.3.....? Other than basic oil change, fuel and air filter things like that. I’m new to the motor.

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
Not sure what the other guy is getting at. Everything else underneath will eat you alive????

Many folks ignore brake fluid, engine coolant, power steering fluid, transmission, transfer case and both differentials etc.

mist a good idea to check the engine bay out and look at the water pump, coolant hoses, ICP and IPR sensor. They can make trouble for you when they start to fail or flat out fail.

It’s best to spend some time on the forum and YouTube and learn more about the common issues/fixes and guides for routine stuff. Will save a ton of time/money for a few extra mint of research

Reactions: Ish

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure what the other guy is getting at. Everything else underneath will eat you alive????

Many folks ignore brake fluid, engine coolant, power steering fluid, transmission, transfer case and both differentials etc.

mist a good idea to check the engine bay out and look at the water pump, coolant hoses, ICP and IPR sensor. They can make trouble for you when they start to fail or flat out fail.

It’s best to spend some time on the forum and YouTube and learn more about the common issues/fixes and guides for routine stuff. Will save a ton of time/money for a few extra mint of research
Thank you for the input!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Not much really engine wise, but everything underneath will eventually eat you alive.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Huh? My 97 has been the most reliable and lowest cost vehicle I have ever owned.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Huh? My 97 has been the most reliable and lowest cost vehicle I have ever owned.
Let's see, these add up...

Ball joints
Wheel bearings
Lock outs
All new steering components
Shocks
Rotors
Calipers
Pads
Drums
Shoes
Axle seals
E brake cables
Sway bar and track bar bushings
Flex plate

Stuff wears out. Not many low mile trucks these years around still.

Mine had 200k when I bought it.
Its had everything underneath replaced.

Engine related stuff
Sensors
Water pump
Oil cooler
Starter
Fuel pump
PCM
IDM

Mine was from AZ, it's been taken care of, but stuff wears out and one ton steering, brake and suspension components are not cheap for these ( ok you can certainly put cheap stuff in them, but why?)

·
Registered
223 Posts
So what you are saying is old vehicles cost money to maintain...got ya. In other news water is wet

Reactions: greenskeeper

·
Registered
8,585 Posts

Ball joints
Wheel bearings
Lock outs
All new steering components
Shocks
Rotors
Calipers
Pads
Drums
Shoes
Axle seals
E brake cables
Sway bar and track bar bushings
Flex plate

Engine related stuff
Sensors
Water pump
Oil cooler
Starter
Fuel pump
PCM
IDM

Mine was from AZ, it's been taken care of, but stuff wears out and one ton steering, brake and suspension components are not cheap for these ( ok you can certainly put cheap stuff in them, but why?)

It sounds like you got ripped off... my 1999 is 21 yrs old now and has the original PCM and IDM, original front hub bearing assembly units, original 4x4 hubs, original water pump, starter, fuel pump, heck even the original u joints in the drive line and front end. I have less then $2000in repairs. And the previous Owner only replaced a steering column piece for a recall and upper/lower ball joints. So in 21yrs this truck has cost less then 5k in repairs. Vs when I priced out a 2018 or newer 6.7L from Ford and Dodge it was over $600 a month.... less then one year I would have already paid that in truck payments. That was after trade in value and a large down payment not no zero down highest payment possible situation.

you took your truck to a bad money hungry mechanic or had one of the worst trucks I’ve ever heard of with the 7.3L.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It sounds like you got ripped off... my 1999 is 21 yrs old now and has the original PCM and IDM, original front hub bearing assembly units, original 4x4 hubs, original water pump, starter, fuel pump, heck even the original u joints in the drive line and front end. I have less then $2000in repairs. And the previous Owner only replaced a steering column piece for a recall and upper/lower ball joints. So in 21yrs this truck has cost less then 5k in repairs. Vs when I priced out a 2018 or newer 6.7L from Ford and Dodge it was over $600 a month.... less then one year I would have already paid that in truck payments. That was after trade in value and a large down payment not no zero down highest payment possible situation.

you took your truck to a bad money hungry mechanic or had one of the worst trucks I’ve ever heard of with the 7.3L.
All the work was done by me over the course of the last 40k miles. Stuff wears out.
I want to be able to get in my truck, hook up my gooseneck and go to the east coast without a worry.

PCM had a bad component, can't get that part anymore. Idms go out from eventual water infiltration.

Yeah, people run their crap into the ground and claim they are reliable and cheap to own.

I really can't complain, 200k+ on original components is pretty good for a one ton 4x4 vehicle.

But all that stuff adds up and I am a firm believer if you are in there for something else, replace what you can while you are there.

It's used as a truck, not just for driving around in because it's cool.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts

Ball joints replaced once
Wheel bearings original
Lock outs original
All new steering components original
Shocks replaced 3x
Rotors replaced 4x (i do it at every brake job regardless)
Calipers replaced 2x
Pads replaced 4x
Drums replaced 1x
Shoes replaced 1x
Axle seals orginal
E brake cables original
Sway bar and track bar bushings original
Flex plate replaced @ 207k miles

Engine related stuff
Sensors
Water pump
Oil cooler
Starter
Fuel pump
PCM
IDM

Normal wear and tear items as with any vehicle as you pile on the years and miles.

Bold is what's on my 97 with 210k miles, lots of city driving which beats on components more than a highway cruiser.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Normal wear and tear items as with any vehicle as you pile on the years and miles.

Bold is what's on my 97 with 210k miles, lots of city driving which beats on components more than a highway cruiser.
Just cant see replacing ball joints in the front and not doing bearings or front drive axle u joints.

My truck gets worked. 100 gallon tank in the bed, usually dragging a gooseneck around, usually 16k pounds consistantly.

My whole damn point was engine maintenance is fairly minimum, but everything underneath will cost way more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just cant see replacing ball joints in the front and not doing bearings or front drive axle u joints.

My truck gets worked. 100 gallon tank in the bed, usually dragging a gooseneck around, usually 16k pounds consistantly.

My whole damn point was engine maintenance is fairly minimum, but everything underneath will cost way more.

My 01 has 324.5k and I did ball joints and entire steering assembly just under 290k. It drives fantastic and the steering is tight. You all would call my truck an urban assault vehicle but when I need it to, it will perform at what ever level I need from it. Body bushings and injectors are next but hopefully not for several months.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts