Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug - OE? Recommendations?

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  joe blow 
#1 ·
Vehicle was just purchased and we're going through the required maintenance. Can anyone tell me if a magnetic oil drain plug is original equipment, and if not, recommend a brand? I haven't pulled the plug yet and would like a new magnetic one if necessary before I pull the old plug.

I understand the size is M14x1.25 - 12 mm long; and there are two on eBay Mishimoto for $22 and a Dimple for $32.5 - both are expensive, but if they've got good ceramic magnets its probably worth the price. The Dimple seller has sold 64 units which is usually a good indication of quality and satisfaction.

Any recommendations / comments welcomed.

#3 ·
Another option although not magnetic but super helpful is the fumoto valve. I have been using it on my previous 6.0ls since 2011. Does have a slight drawback of being a tiny slower but no mess is what I like. I can drain, switch off, grab another jug, drain again etc. had the once on my 1999 since 2016 no issues with snow/ice, mud, dirt etc.

#7 · (Edited)
Been considering one but just never did it. F111N is the part number I am considering and I have them on my block drains.....think I will add one next go around

Did you change the paper gasket out for a copper washer?

thanks
Joe

Reactions: Bob Jacoby
#5 ·
i found the Mishimoto threads were not exactly the same as my OEM so I decided not to use it specially since their track record is not very good as far as deisels IMO

i opted against the Fumoto for a few reasons ( slow drain, protrudes into the pan creating less drainable oil, and the branch meets Fumoto challenge I don't want to judge the winner of oh and no mess ,, I want to be covered in oil to earn my man card LOL

I do slap a huge brick magnet on my oil pan exterior near the drain then pull it when draining my oil

#6 ·

I opted against the Fumoto for a few reasons (slow drain, protrudes into the pan creating less drainable oil, and the branch meets Fumoto challenge I don't want to judge the winner of oh and no mess ,, I want to be covered in oil to earn my man card LOL

I do slap a huge brick magnet on my oil pan exterior near the drain then pull it when draining my oil
!!!! THIS !!!!

The Fumoto isn't the problem with the protrusion. An issue with these pans no matter the "plug", its the thread collar causes a well that will not clear, leaving a sludge pit for metal debris just like the differential housings. The best way to deal with it is to put a rare earth magnet on the pan's side and remove it while the oil starts to drain.

Two images, one with the Fumoto valve installed and the other with the stock magnetic plug installed. The magnetic plug isn't too bad. While the pickup screen is close to the bottom, it's to the side of the drain.

Attachments

#10 ·
Thanks Justin.

I regret not changing the paper gasket when I attached these to my block years ago....but they have held up so far.

I like the nipple for a hose attachment. I have them on my drain blocks and sure as the sun rises and sets, there is always some kind of wind where I live....good thing I don't wear a hair piece LOL.

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.