Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I am about to pull the heads off my 04 6.0L and want to have a machine shop check and mill em flat. Anyone know of a good machine shop? :dunno:
I'm in Lino Lakes / North metro and would like one in the area.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Are you going to port them as well?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't planning on it, though now that you mention it I could ask to see what that would cost.

Have you ever done it?
If I understand it right you use the gasket to size the port openings and then polish the insides.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
porting consists of a lot more than just making the opening larger. Porting the cylinder heads, allows a larger, free'er, and straighter flow of air into the combustion chamber, if you smooth the insid and just open up the outside to match the gaskets you still are not getting anymore air into the engine.

they will also work to possibly slightly reshape the runners and port them as well.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
each machine shop is different. You have to figure that each runner is going to be worked on, and it takes time. So you get what you pay for, its not cheap. i'd say that for two heads you're looking at $1500 to $2000, maybe more maybe less.

although, i'm just guessing. I've only had work done on 4cyl heads.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool thought but a little more than I want to spend right now. I started to just delete the EGR cooler and it's grown to include studs and an oil cooler. This site just pulls a guy in, sure is fun though. Guess I'll hunt around for a shop to do the heads.

Thanks for the info Fast!

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
be careful on the 6.0 heads.....i don't think you can mill them much at all......something like more than .008 out of flat and you have to chuck the heads......i could be wrong tho.....but i do remember seeing the heads can't be milled much at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts