Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to see if someone can recommend a machine shop to check my heads before I reinstall with ARP's. Anywhere from the Parker area to the Denver area would be great. Will have the heads off this weekend and ready to drop on Tuesday since it is a Holiday weekend. Would really appreciate the help, since I know no diesel shops and am doing the work myself. Thanks! Brandon.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I don't have advise on a shop but i would be interested in pics posted along the way and advise on how it goes for you...It is in my plans someday to do mine with STUDS... are those ARP studs or bolts? if Studs are you pulling the engine or lifting the cab / front clip?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll take a few, I already have the turbo, manifold, and cooler out along with the valve covers. Wasn't planning on doing the head bolts but man...they are right there so I gotta do it!

Still looking for recommended machine shop!

·
Premium Starfish Member
2,118 Posts
MPG Head Services, Specializes in Fords only.
3881 South Jason Street
Englewood, CO 80110 (Just south of Hampden between Santa Fe and Broadway)
(303) 762-8196

I've used them for my 302/347 build up for my CAM and Head work.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I have used Havanna Machine up there a few times for gasoline engines. They do good work. Got over 200K on a 351C they rebuilt for me back in '86.

BigSexy runs a diesel shop over near downtown. He recommended Mile High Performance to me when I needed my 7.3 heads repared while I was rebuilding. They didn't fix cracked heads, so I ended up getting some off the Internet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys, I'll look into them on Tuesday, keep forgetting about the holiday.

So I started taking the heads off, and let no one fool you these things are heavy!

Chitty cell pics cause thats what I do when I forget things.

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
How are you getting the driver side head off?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure yet, gonna put in a dip, loosen some head bolts and see how it goes. Update you when I get it out!

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
Definitely would like to know how you end up doing it, I'm curious how you are going to go about getting the last head bolt that's next to the firewall out.

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
undo tty the :ranton: then wheres my drink :haha:
Have you already been drinkin Scott? What the hell are you trying to say?!?:dunno::hehe:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LineHaul, I'm not quite speaking your language on that, please translate.:D
Not bad at all, on the passenger side head I left three headbolts in, on the drivers side I had to leave in the one and held it up with a zip tie and was able to pull it out.

Couple things I had trouble with:
1. They are heavy
2. The passenger side head has a ground wire bolted to the back I did not see
3. The drivers side head was bolted to the heat shield that I did not see
4. They are heavy

Time to finish tearing them down and try and get them to a head shop tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
That is awesome that you were able to do all that without lifting the cap.:clap:

I wonder how hard it will be to torque the rear driver side stud to specs. Please keep us posted throughout the whole process.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Have you already been drinkin Scott? What the hell are you trying to say?!?:dunno::hehe:
already i started sun morning, found a note where my keys were said i'd getm back tues morning. man my freakin head hurts.

Not bad at all, on the passenger side head I left three headbolts in, on the drivers side I had to leave in the one and held it up with a zip tie and was able to pull it out.
i was just trying to mess with jeffy

Couple things I had trouble with:
1. They are heavy
2. The passenger side head has a ground wire bolted to the back I did not see
3. The drivers side head was bolted to the heat shield that I did not see
4. They are heavy

Time to finish tearing them down and try and get them to a head shop tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
already i started sun morning, found a note where my keys were said i'd getm back tues morning. man my freakin head hurts.
:hehe:... Sounds like an interesting time, do you remember any of it?:dunno:

·
Premium Starfish Member
2,118 Posts

That's pretty damn clever! I'll have to remember that one!:clap:

·
Registered
345 Posts
thanks for the write-up and pics!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys didn't know your newest member was a rocket scientist did ya! Actually one of the guys I hunt with is, and no way he would have thought of that, way to simple. SO......I do have a used but in good condition set of genuine Ford OEM head bolts if anyone is interested?

You know what they say "Can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning"

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So my heads have been dropped off, and I haven't had the foresight to start getting my gaskets in order yet. I ordered a intake kit with my BPD EGR, so I am good there. My list is as follows if you see something missed please let me know (bonus points if you have a part number!)

Head Gaskets 6C3Z-6051-AA
Oil Cooler kit 3C3Z-6A642-AB
STC 4C32-9B246-F
6.4 Banjos W302472
6.4 Crush washer W303659
Valve Seals 3C3Z-6571-AA
Valve Cover Gasket 3231P
Gasket between head and rockers ??????
Anything else you can think of, I'm using a CC so gotta get it now!
Also, my truck inside door sticker says manufactured 1/06. How else can I be sure I have a later build or early build? Thanks Fellas.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Never mind on the late or early build, I have the later style injector hold downs, so I am going with a late model build.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts