Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an 06 250 with 190k miles that had already been bullet proofed. Had a failing water pump and pushed my luck too far and ended up blowing a head gasket. (didn't top the coolant off often enough like an idiot) :doh: Started rough one morning when taking my kids to school. Shut down to walk them inside and when I started back up it DUMPED a huge smoke screen of white.......

I've got most of the tear down done and will be pulling injectors and maybe even heads tonight and was wondering if anyone has advice on whether or not I absolutely need to have my heads machined? No idea if they were machined when the previous owner studded it, but I want to know everyone's thoughts on if I should take the heads in to get machined this round or if, because the motor was already studded, that maybe they didn't warp and I might be ok just doing the rest of the repair and re-installing the heads as they are when I go to re-assemble?

Had a buddy tell me I should at least take them in to get pressure checked but thought I'd drop a line here and see what all the great people of this forum had to say. Love this site and got tremendous help and advice on my 05 F350 when I bulletproofed it. Wish I still had that truck but I don't because... divorce. ANYWAY........

My logic, and hope, would be that the heads might not warp because the motor was studded and the extra tinsel strength of the studs caused the failure to be isolated to just the gasket itself, whereas if they were stock head bolts I for sure would take the heads to the machine shop.

Just trying to save some money if I can and want to get the ole girl put back together soon.

Wishful thinking?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
So hard to say for sure, but if all possible I'd have them checked at a shop. The if at all possible is not just $$$ but down time for the truck and a local machine shop familiar with machining 6.0 heads. On top of that, you never really know for sure if they have micro cracks unless you magnflux them. If the shop's first 6.0 head job is yours, than, I'd lean away from that. I am lucky to have a couple of areas I can go drive to. I honestly do not know who you would mail them into. Last I looked, if my heads went again, I would want UFC heads, but those are $$$. Also, with the way the heads went, I would lean even further to getting them to a reputable shop.

When I talked to my mechanic before I did the heads the first time, he said he would not do the heads unless they were sent to be machined, and he could not quote me an exact price, because it all depended on what the machine shop found. He told me that some of his customers didn't like the extra cost and went to others who just simply switched the gaskets, but those gaskets busted and came back to him to do it right. I've heard other guys say where the dealer will fix it without machining the heads the first time, and if you go back then they will recommend machining the heads.

Second time I got my heads done, it was for Bulletproofing. A much better place with an in house machine shop did the work, and they condemned both heads because they were milled below specs. They said that was likely because the first time I had the heads done, the heads were actually done by one of the previous owners, and when I did it my first time milled them below specs.

To me it's kind of like how lucky you feel, at worst the new head gaskets will last a couple of weeks, and at best they'll last forever.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.