Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was heading to work today doing about 40 mph and saw a bunch of shiny chrome come shooting to my left in front of me, followed by a vibration in the front end. I had another 1/4 mile to go before I could pull over to check it out, thinking I had run something over and messed up my tire. 100 yards before I could stop my truck drops on the driver side front and the tire takes off down the road another 200 yards and stops in the ditch. I pull off and park to find my rotor with a nice flat spot. I retrieve the tire and put it back on with the help of a few lug nuts from other tires. I am now coming to the conclusion that I over torqued the lugnuts when I replaced the ball joints on that side a few weeks back. I am religious about tightening the lugnuts when replacing a tire, so this has to be the explanation. Anyone here of this happening before? From now on I will get out the torque wrench and torque to 150 ft lbs. :doh:

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Did you over torque them or not torque them enough? I always always torque lug nuts at 140 ftlbs. and have never had a failure and we put on a lot of miles on our work truck. One time my dad changed out a wheel and didn't tighten them enough and had a wheel come loose and wrecked the wheel and all of the studs.

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Yeah I always overtighten them on all my vehicles... Maybe someone interupted you and you forgot?

Everything happens.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Thats odd. I have no clue how many hundreds of times we have tightened lugnuts on numerous vehicles with all kinds of different rims and nuts, and never once used a torque wrench. We just grab a big impact, and tighten em till the gun is just hammering. Never once have we had an issue. Thats like 15 vehicles and prolly 5-6 trailers that i can think of at the moment.

One time though i did have an issue when i put new rims and nuts on our four wheeler. I tightened them by hand but didn't wanna get them super tight as they were brand new aluminum rims and shiny lug nuts. Literally made it one mile around our trails testing em and was damn near back in the garage when the last nut came off on one wheel and it went rolling down the driveway. Had to use steel nuts on that wheel, tightened the others down good, and no issues since.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Never had it happen before, broke studs but never lost my nuts lol

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I was heading to work today doing about 40 mph and saw a bunch of shiny chrome come shooting to my left in front of me, followed by a vibration in the front end. I had another 1/4 mile to go before I could pull over to check it out, thinking I had run something over and messed up my tire. 100 yards before I could stop my truck drops on the driver side front and the tire takes off down the road another 200 yards and stops in the ditch. I pull off and park to find my rotor with a nice flat spot. I retrieve the tire and put it back on with the help of a few lug nuts from other tires. I am now coming to the conclusion that I over torqued the lugnuts when I replaced the ball joints on that side a few weeks back. I am religious about tightening the lugnuts when replacing a tire, so this has to be the explanation. Anyone here of this happening before? From now on I will get out the torque wrench and torque to 150 ft lbs. :doh:
We I worked at a large NW tire dealer we torqued pass cars to 75-80 ftpnds, and large trucks to 120ftpnds (I think).

If you didn't use a torque wrench, or over tightened them you got such an amazing *** chewing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went back to the scene this morning and found all 8 lugnuts (they are the long kind) in the same area. They are all missing their threads, like they all failed at once and shot off the hub together. Strange. I have never used a torque wrench before on lugnuts, but will from now on. I have always just tightened them down as tight as possible and never had a problem before.

·
Super Moderator
19,511 Posts
What kind of metal are they made of? Some kind of alloy?? :dunno: Just guessing.

If you have them all the way around the truck, you might want to check them too to see if they are losing their threads. Might save you some headaches. Don't think you want them to let go and you lose another wheel.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Went back to the scene this morning and found all 8 lugnuts (they are the long kind) in the same area. They are all missing their threads, like they all failed at once and shot off the hub together. Strange. I have never used a torque wrench before on lugnuts, but will from now on. I have always just tightened them down as tight as possible and never had a problem before.
IMHO the monkeys that use impact guns on them and get them so damn tight do stuff like that. Its my opinion that overtime the stud/nut stretches a bit and I'd reckon someone got the nut started on there a time or two with just the impact.

·
Undead Member
715 Posts
The only lug failures I've seen while running, like you were, was from stretched studs, running non hubcentric wheels on a hubcentric hub, studs too short for the wheel, or loose lugnuts. Stripped lugnuts would be the same as loose ones.

In fact, I forgot to torque the right front wheel lugs on my old Mazda racecar. Wheel fell off at turn three at Summit Point. Oops.

Those long lugnuts you used, they were not OEM, but aftermarket? Sorta curious. Glad you weren't hurt.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Properly torqued lug nuts is the key to everything.. 140 ft lbs.. just tightening them down by hand is really only ok for a few miles to get you to a torque wrench or off the highway.. since they were all stripped out Im going to take a wild guess and say they were not tight as they need to be and worked them selves looser..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bought new lugnuts and torqued to 140 ft lbs. I definitely overtightened the other ones. The torqued nuts were much easier to remove than ones that I had previously hand tightened.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Bought new lugnuts and torqued to 140 ft lbs. I definitely overtightened the other ones. The torqued nuts were much easier to remove than ones that I had previously hand tightened.
I assume you mean under tightened?

·
aussie=effie
286 Posts
lugnuts

148ft/lbs is figure in the manual and I usetorque wrench every time. some of those hammer guns can be way off torque figure in my experience

·
Registered
486 Posts
over tightned will stretch the wheel studs causing just what happend. They get hot and weaken while your driving causing them to stretch even more and then either A work them selves loose or B just snap.

·
Registered
161 Posts
And if the non oem lug nuts were China made that could be the issue too. Just another reason I don't use China anymore when I can. Glad everything turned out ok.

·
Registered
496 Posts
this might be a stupid question - but are you absultely sure they were the lugnuts that belong on the truck?? reason i ask is i had the same thing happen to a monte ss i owned years ago - then it dawned on me the i had swapped the rear end with an older monte, and when i looked up the different years - they required different threads. the ones i had put one would thread on, and tighten, but when under stress all the threads broke off..

ive never ever heard of anyone being able to over torque lugnuts to the point the threads failed - esp on ALL of them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts