Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some tips on how to get lugs off because the studs are spinning inside the rim. Put lug wrench on and the lug nut and wheel stud all spin. Any tips or tricks of getting my wheel off are appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
19,524 Posts
A couple of thoughts come to mind.

1. See if you can get a pair of Vise-grips on the exposed stud and use a wrench to turn the lug nut off.
2. Get something to protect your wheel, get a hammer and break the stud off. If the stud is spinning you'll probably have to replace it anyway.

Just my suggestions -

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Front or rear?

Can you get a grinder with a cut off disk in there to cut the lug nut, so that you'd be able to split it with a cold chisle? You are in a tuff situation my friend....

·
Registered
68 Posts
put the rest of the lugs back on and go to your local repair chain and ask (innocently) to get the tires rotated.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
I wouldnt be drilling that stud out, that would be the last thing I would try.

What kind of rims are you running??

What I might try is carefully cutting off the end of the lug of the entire lug for that matter. The idea of splitting the lug with a cold chisel is not a bad one either.

Def gonna test your McGuyver skills.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 while my wife is yelling at me for being on my phone...

·
Premium Member
8,487 Posts
I wouldnt be drilling that stud out, that would be the last thing I would try.
Why not?

All these other suggestions, snapping off, grinding down, splitting the nut with a chisel, are ALL going to risk damage to the wheel (I can't Imagine the amount "side force" it would take to snap a stud with a nut on it close to the wheel).

As you increase the drill size to the diameter of the nut (of course you don't have to go any deeper than that nut) it's just going to fall off without ever the danger of hitting the wheel itself ;) )

It Really IS the best, easiest, method (my grew-up in my, family owned, tire business and this happened all the time)...

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
Why not?

All these other suggestions, snapping off, grinding down, splitting the nut with a chisel, are ALL going to risk damage to the wheel (I can't Imagine the amount "side force" it would take to snap a stud with a nut on it close to the wheel).

As you increase the drill size to the diameter of the nut (of course you don't have to go any deeper than that nut) it's just going to fall off without ever the danger of hitting the wheel itself ;) )

It Really IS the best, easiest, method (my grew-up in my, family owned, tire business and this happened all the time)...
How you gonna drill it if is spinning??

Sent from my Galaxy S2 while my wife is yelling at me for being on my phone...

·
Premium Member
8,487 Posts
YA think it's That loose? Maybe I guess, wouldn't a pair of Vice Grips on the nut be all you would need though? :wink[3]:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can get a lug wrench on the lug but it just spins, no leverage. I may try the drill idea, I have like 3 to do so if they drill out! I'm in business if not may have to pull hub off axle and try and get to the back of the hub and grind them off. Thanks for the ideas!

·
Registered
805 Posts
IF you can tighten them down then another option if you can get some metal to protect your wheel is to use a torch on them. Heat them up, if seated the stud will expand a bit and lock in even better and the lug nut itself would also expand and help unseat the locked threads. Have done this numerous time on my yota, wheelin tends to bend them and make them lock on. I just ahve steel wheels tho so i dont care if i hit them with the torch.
Just focus the heat on the lug nut and hit it with an impact. Should pop right off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts