Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to install an '08 rear diff cover tomorrow and was reading that the axle holds a lil under 4 qts of fluid and that the factory recommends synthetic. I was planning on using synthetic from the beginning, but didn't realize it's $15 qt - it's only $8 qt for the 75w90 that my Camaro uses. So, not a deal breaker, but I saw that Lucas makes an oil that says it's suitable for all applications - I believe it was called something generic like "Heavy Duty Truck" formula w/ the picture of a semi on it. Anyone use it? Is it dino based or are Lucas products synthetics?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I use Lucas in many of my Heavy Duty engines. Cat, Detroit Diesel, Cummins. Very happy with it.

2,083 Posts
Getting ready to install an '08 rear diff cover tomorrow and was reading that the axle holds a lil under 4 qts of fluid and that the factory recommends synthetic. I was planning on using synthetic from the beginning, but didn't realize it's $15 qt - it's only $8 qt for the 75w90 that my Camaro uses. So, not a deal breaker, but I saw that Lucas makes an oil that says it's suitable for all applications - I believe it was called something generic like "Heavy Duty Truck" formula w/ the picture of a semi on it. Anyone use it? Is it dino based or are Lucas products synthetics?

The lucas is a blended product Not 100% synthetic. I myself use amsoil 75-140 sever gear and it's like 12bux a qt.

If your in a pinch I would honestly use the royal purple before the lucas

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Amsoil is only available through their reps right?

Royal Purple and Mobil1 (which is what I priced) are pretty much the same cost from what I remember. I've heard good things about RP, but I've always used Mobil1 and have never had an issue and think it's a great product. I don't really have any scientific data to base it on though b/c I've never had my oil tested. I'm just going to play it safe and stick with the Mobil1 unless RP is on sale or the difference in price is larger than I think.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I just swaped out my rusty diff cover and used Royal Purple . . . so far so good

1 - 7 of 7 Posts