Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
noticed something went through the low pressure side rings and mangled up some of the surfaces pretty bad. inner and outer pump rings will be replaced should I change the entire front cover as well?
there is a nail catching scratch on the upper part of the rear of the pump housing circled in red. the pump housing cover behind drive pulley is good there are marks but they can not even be felt with my nail.
This engine was making good low side oil pressure and running before i took it apart so im wondering if i can just change the pump rings and not go looking for a new engine front cover

Wood Automotive tire Rectangle Bumper Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake Locking hubs

·
Compression Ignition Addict
10,374 Posts
Looks like a lifter needle bearing went through the pump. That would be more the issue than fixing the LPOP and its components.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a lifter needle bearing went through the pump. That would be more the issue than fixing the LPOP and its components.
engines getting new colt cam and lifters and rotating assembly blahblah full rebuild all the lifters were ok functioning when i got this engine i cant speak of before i owned it. I am just wondering if i should get a new front cover over that gouge or not.

·
10,374 Posts
I remember now - thanks.

I believe that Ford would recommend a new front cover for what damage you have shown in the pics. I would change the front cover.

Maybe others will provide their opinion since I believe some might think that it is OK.

·
Premium Member
3,540 Posts
Ah, games.

That's a deeper gouge than I'd care for. Not at all like the less intense marks on this front cover where I said it wasn't a significant contributor to loss of pressure.

And, as you say, it appeared the existing engine was making pressure with the deep gouge and hurt gears. So I'd go for a new front cover, despite the expense.

Automotive tire Rim Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system

Reactions: mlgjellybean123

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I have no experience with front cover or LPOP replacement. But, if you are in that far, a front cover now will be cheaper for you both in terms of time and future headache.

Reactions: TooManyToys

·
10,374 Posts
Ah, games.

That's a deeper gouge than I'd care for. Not at all like the less intense marks on this front cover where I said it wasn't a significant contributor to loss of pressure.

And, as you say, it appeared the existing engine was making pressure with the deep gouge and hurt gears. So I'd go for a new front cover, despite the expense.
No games at all. When he said it didn't catch on a nail, then that indicates a pretty minor scratch - that is the standard I used in the previous discussion. I admit the gouge looks deep(ish) in the picture, but pictures can be deceiving. I absolutely do not like basing decisions on internet pictures. As you noted, he also stated that it had good low side pressure (although no numbers were posted - maybe just the dash gauge, who knows). Anyway,just things to consider.

I am open to a different perspectives, but until some data (pressure readings) exist, I am going to be conservative, or at least try to be. Left it open for others to disagree as well.

It would be great if some experienced Ford Techs would offer their perspective.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts