Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pump says "recommended for use in ALL diesels", but that it's a requirement for 2007+. Is this good diesel to use? I've heard it causes bad mileage

·
Registered
275 Posts
ULSD is the ONLY diesel yer gonna find for "Highway use", As mandated by our lovely government. Where did you hear that it causes bad mileage for later models such as yours? What other type of diesel would you have access to?:dunno:

Spent three of the five years I lived in NC stationed at Ft. Bragg (21st MP Co, Abn.) The other two I lived in Fayetteville.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
There are still a few places that you can find LOW sulfur diesel for highway use. It is legal for use as long as the vehicle is not 2007 or newer. Anything before that it is legal. Your older truck will run better with low sulfur as the higher sulfur content lubricates the top end a LOT better.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ULSD is the ONLY diesel yer gonna find for "Highway use", As mandated by our lovely government. Where did you hear that it causes bad mileage for later models such as yours? What other type of diesel would you have access to?:dunno:

Spent three of the five years I lived in NC stationed at Ft. Bragg (21st MP Co, Abn.) The other two I lived in Fayetteville.
I dont remember where I heard that, probably cruising the internet or something. But whats the diesel w/ yellow pump? The new new stuff? I'm about to get out of this area though and move back home, sweet home..

There are still a few places that you can find LOW sulfur diesel for highway use. It is legal for use as long as the vehicle is not 2007 or newer. Anything before that it is legal. Your older truck will run better with low sulfur as the higher sulfur content lubricates the top end a LOT better.
Where can I find the low sulfur diesel at? I get fuel from the gas station across from spring lake wal mart

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Lots of people are running 2 stroke oil in the diesel to help lube things up. I run 1oz per gal in my diesel tank. Sure makes the truck happier.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^:drool: It probably smells good as hell too lol

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
At 1oz per gal I do not notice a change in the smell. Now when I flip on the veggie pump, it sure smells good then! :drool: I like the smell of diesel, and i REALLY like the smell of VO :)

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The smell of diesel fumes in the wee hours of morning, is what motivates me to not fall asleep on the drive to work.

I'm sure the veggie setup smells great too lol

·
Semper Fi
135 Posts
Where do you find your Fuel Power?

I can't find LSD only ULSD, there is Red Dyed which doesn't appear to have any sitckers and is about .60/cheaper a gallon. BUT....the fine is too high if you get caught to justify even trying. So I don't care to find out. The only time I have bought red dyed was to burn in my outdoor heater.

·
Semper Fi
135 Posts
Where do you find your Fuel Power?

I can't find LSD only ULSD, there is Red Dyed which doesn't appear to have any sitckers and is about .60/cheaper a gallon. BUT....the fine is too high if you get caught to justify even trying. So I don't care to find out. The only time I have bought red dyed was to burn in my outdoor heater.
I am a retard, I called up O'Reilly and they sell 8oz bottles for 6.99, I'm going to grab some and give it a shot.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
2-stroke is not helping as much as you think. Use FPPF fuel treatments. I use the FPPF FUEL POWER.

FUEL POWER.
Actually 2 stroke does help. Look up the thread called "TANKS library" There is a break down of all the top fuel treatments against ULSD. I've never even heard of FPPF.

·
Semper Fi
135 Posts
So if I'm reading this chart correctly on Tank's Library.

FPPF ranked #3 and Super Tech Outboard 2-cycle TC-W3 ranked #7

3)FPPF RV, Bus, SUV Diesel/Gas fuel treatment
Gas and Diesel
cetane improver, emulsifier
HFRR 439, 197 micron improvement
640:1 ratio
5.2 oz/tank
$2.60/tank

7)Super Tech Outboard 2-cycle TC-W3 engine oil
Unconventional (Not ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 or newer systems)
HFRR 474, 162 micron improvement
200:1 ratio
16.64 oz/tank
$1.09/tank

So 2-cycle has a higher HFRR rating but is cheaper, there is only a difference of 35 microns but the cost per tank difference is 1.51/tank according to this data.

EDIT:

I found this also and Tank said that Spicer was the tester. Schaeffer's has a 470 rating at 1.87

A recent independent study of Ultra Low
Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) lubricating additives
concluded that Schaeffer’s Diesel Treat 2000
provided the most cost-effective lubricating
treatment among the products reviewed.
The study, conducted by Arlen Spicer and
sponsored by thedieselplace.com, reviewed 18
fuel additives and evaluated each one on how it
improved lubricity in ULSD fuel as well as how
much it cost to treat a 26-gallon fuel tank.
http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/ulsdstudy.pdf

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
Actually the FPPF lubes better, but costs over twice as much as 2 stroke.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I use LOW sulfer only. Still for sale at my local krogers:woot: My truck doesnt like ULSD

·
Semper Fi
135 Posts
Actually the FPPF lubes better, but costs over twice as much as 2 stroke.
Yeah after I researched more I edit my post and the differences I would say for 35 microns and over a doller difference per tank it would be cost effective to use the 2-stroke.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
Yeah after I researched more I edit my post and the differences I would say for 35 microns and over a doller difference per tank it would be cost effective to use the 2-stroke.
Yep, and if it really bothers you, you can always dump a bit more 2 cycle in.

·
Semper Fi
135 Posts
35 microns to me is nothing... I'm more of a cost based guy :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts