Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my low pressure oil pump gears, and they were destroyed. Worse than anything I have seen online. Surprised it would even start before, should I pull the oil cooler and check the screen under it? Or would the oil filter have caught anything trying to go in there? I have to replace the front cover along with the gears.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the oil cooler to check the screen under it. If I had lifter failure, would there be metal shavings in the screen under the oil cooler?

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,824 Posts
Can you post a picture of the LPOP gears, the LPOP cover, and the front cover.

Sometimes you can tell what went through it by the indentations on those components.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but why did you pull the pump in the 1st place? Were you having issues?

Are you the original owner? If not, maybe the damage was done prior to you owning the truck...? If you are the original owner, i wouldn't rest easy until I figured it out. That pump is dinged up pretty bad...

-jokester

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No I am prob the 4th owner, I had a long crank cold prob about 5 - 7 secs. I started with a low pressure oil test, jumping the starter at the battery with the wire and watching the oil bowl fill. It took prob 10 seconds at least. I did an air test and it sounded like I had a nipple cup/ injector leaking. The truck would still start at this point. I tore it down and replaced the nipple cup seals and injector orings. Tried to prime the system and the icp wouldnt build. I did another low pressure oil test and it would not fill the bowl at all, not a drop. I have read that a weak pump if the oil is pushed out of it wont be able to get the system going again. Tore the low pressure oil pump out and found the damage. Today I took the oil cooler out, and the Hpop. Both were super clean. I looked at the rear lifters i could see under the Hpop and those looked fine. However the Hpop cover had a chuck of the aluminum where the oil drain tube for the turbo goes missing. Tomorrow I am going to strain the engine oil with a magnet to see if anything is in the oil. I have seen online that lifter failure symptoms are a knocking noise from the intake or exhaust as you turn the engine over, however I dont have any noise like that. The truck has been worked on quite a bit before me, with a certain level of ignorance. I found previously that one of the dummy plugs was not done when that job was performed, so both stand pipes and 1 dummy plug were upgraded. I have fixed that issue, along with many others.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All that being said the injectors were done right before I bought the truck about 15,000 miles ago. It has always had the long start cold. Most of the miles I have put on it were towing a 34' camper all over western united states.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont know how long ago it was studded and deleted, but that is done. The truck while I was traveling was getting 12- 15 mpg towing the camper. So in my opinion it ran really good.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Were you getting normal oil pressure gauge response in the instrument cluster when cranking or was it slow to come up ??

Dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The gauge wouldnt ever rise until the truck would start. Diesel tech ron says thats normal though as that sensor is low on the voltage totem pole.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,824 Posts
I wouldn't say it is normal, but it does happen.

IMO one of those indentations does look like it was from a needle bearing.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
If your gonna try the old gears, smear gun grease on the surfaces and just a little gob between the gears, before putting the cover back on -- this should help prime the pump -- over filling the oil level will also help -- a couple of gallons, you can always drain some back out if the engine will start

I would suggest there is a lifter gone, but I didn't see the telltale marks on the gears -- I have had timing gears chip up and cause those kind of marks tho -- you can see down in the gears since you have the hpop cover off

With the marks and low base oil pressure, I would be concerned with the rod and main bearings -- those chunks should have got stuck in the filter, always a good idea to open the filter up and take a look at each oil change

Since the oil pressure "gauge" has been coming up slow, is when the metal damage happened -- but you say your 4th owner -- so hard to tell exactly when that happened

A real oil pressure gauge and fuel pressure gauge should be a requirement for every one of these trucks -- a lot of the usual problems could be noticed before there is real damage done

1 - 16 of 16 Posts