Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004, F-250, 6.0, Straightpipe, Edge Juice w/Attitude in tow mode, 75k miles, 10k miles syn oil and fuel filter changes, great truck first issue.

Over the last several weeks - on occasion in the am or after my truck sits all day during work I would start the truck and it would burp / cough / hiccup about once maybe twice. This occured so infrequently I'd not really worried about it and thought maybe it was coinciding with just taking off too fast and trying to start the truck and turn the wheel maybe. As if the power steering pump was taxing the fresh start up idle too much or something. However, this happened enough for me to begin to wonder.

Friday - pulling an 8k lbs camper up Ashton, ID hill (might be a 3-5 mile pull) and 2/3 of the way up the hill I had 1000 degrees, 25lbs boost, tranny in tow/haul mode, and I began to loose speed. Not drastically but noticably. Soon I was doing 50mph, pedal was mashed, turning 2400 - 2500 rpm, and it felt like the transmission was slipping but it wasn't heating up at all nor the engine. Weirdest thing I've sensed in a truck up a hill. So, I purposefully slowed down and just took it easy. EGT's went down to high 800's and the boost went down to mid teens, and speed to like 40 - 45. Crested the hill and the tranny shifted up like normal and away we went the last 20 miles of the trip. The situation made me worry but I guess I wrote it off to some of the safety features (I've been told they are there but I guess I really don't know for certain) built into the tranny by Ford in the tow/haul mode.

Saturday - it was about 65 degrees in the am and I went to start the rig. It didn't fire right up like I'm used to, but did take off but with a bunch of goings on. Black smoke, white smoke, coughs, sputs, almost dies, rough run, on and on. Finally after a minute of this I turned it off. When I restarted - same thing. I gave it a bit of foot feed and it kinda came out of it. I turned it off once more and on the 3rd start we were back to normal. All day and several more starts everything worked perfect.

Sunday - same temps in the am but this morning it wouldn't start for nothing. Turned over fine, sounded as if it would hit successfully on one maybe two cylinders but that was it and it would just crank and crank.

Triple A got a call, some buddies came to the rescue, and uncle was kind enough to come get our trailer and store it, and now we're home.

After reading a ton today and tonight - it sounds like a bad FICM but I'm ready to take any and all other ideas.

I spent the afternoon pulling the Edge, unhooking the batt for a couple hours to reset, and I'll go try to start it a few times w/o the edge and see where that gets me. I'll call the dealer in the am and check the schedule as it sounds like that's where I need to take it. Any other suggestions before I do that?????

I'm open to any flaming for being stupid, help, or suggestions - I just want my ol' dependable back ya know.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess no one had anything to add - Truck is done at the dealership, new FICM and recomendation for a new alternator. I think I'll do the alt myself and some franklins.

·
Registered
36 Posts
macano- Sounds like the FICM will fix it. I would also replace the alternator as well. The FICM performance is directly related to battery supply voltage. If the alternator isn't charging the FICM won't build its desired 48V on the MPWR led and you will burn up the FICM. I would replace both, charge the batteries and retest cold. Also be sure to add some dielectric grease to the FICM connectors to prevent corrosion and water intrusion.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess the alternator is producing 12.8 volts - will that cause it to not create the needed 48v you say it needs? After dropping the coin on the FICM I was gonna hold off a bit on the alt but after that comment sounds like I shouldn't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts