Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help with my 2004.5. It has developed a low and high side pressure issue. Started while hauling, oil pressure gauge dropped at idle. Got home and installed a mechanical gauge one filter cap.operating temp= 5psi idle and 37 psi 1800rpm. At the same time a long crank time condition started.

What ive done so far:
Checked low side with gauge
Changed lpop and cover
Changed lpop regulator
Checked oil filter drain valve
Pressure tested high side. No leaks heard in 30 mins.

Other info:
Running mobil 1 5w-40 and oem filter
3000 miles on oil change
152000 on truck
Updated oil cooler @ 130,000
Hpop= 700 idle
2100 @ 2000rpm no load
[email protected] 3000 rpm
1200 @ 2500rpm full load
Ipr% =
35% @ 2000 rpm
50% @ 3000 rpm
I can understand developing a low pressure or a high pressure issue but both at the exact same time has me stumped. Had my buddy come look at it ( cert ford diesel tech) he hooked their laptop up all readings look good. He is stumped as well at this point.

Next step im thinking is drop oil and inspect. Scope oil pan. R inspect ipr valve and hpop. In that order.

Any help or suggestion please i need my truck back.

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
You have a bad pump or a leak, simple as that -- the pump is rated at 18 gpm
the regulator is @75 psi
Since you have replaced the pump, can that be ruled out?
that leaves a leak

you have checked the filter drain valve and if the filter is operating the valve properly?
then the path leading to the hpop may have the leak
oil pressure is made if the filter valve is closed and the hpop system is leak free on both the suction and pressure sides

I suppose the bearings could be shot, but there should be metal in the oil and filter
just some thoughts to help you consider the problem

·
Registered
918 Posts
Was it ever rebuilt or had the lower end resealed?

The other thing that can happen is if the oil pickup tube retention screws loosen, the O-ring seal cracks, or the rare situation of the tube cracking.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,867 Posts
I can't recall if the late 04 HPOPs have the ball bearing in the suction side of the HPOP or if they got an upgrade to a threaded fitting. I sort-of think that they still had the pressed in BB.

If that BB pops out, it can cause both a low "high pressure" reading AND a low 'low pressure" reading (just one other possibility).

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
Remove the oil filter stand pipe and pour clean oil in -- if the hpop suction side is good the oil should stay filled

1 - 6 of 6 Posts