Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a low mile Excursion 45k. Pretty stock just has a APR head studs and a Banks power kit. The rig is priced pretty high IMO. But I have just begun my Excursion search (again) set on a 05 Eddie.
Thoughts on a low mile EX?
This will be my wife's new daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
If it was just studded why is it being sold? I'm guessing they either they penny pinched to get it in a sellable condition or something is wrong. Also, the banks tuner is junk on the 6.0 and there performance parts are overpriced.

Reactions: darkpassenger

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They appear quite well off.
It's just a extra rig according to them.

"We bought it with about 18k on it and we have a whole mess of cars and trucks so it only was used to dirtbike and ski trips"

I'm torn I have a check in hand for another 05 Eddie for 16k with 140k on it. It has been deleted and new oil pump. Just put in.
Not studded... just it's 8 hour drive and the body has 2 flaws that will drive me nuts.
Had a PPI completed and OFI had a few issues with it ;

Question being long run what direction?

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
They appear quite well off.
It's just a extra rig according to them.

"We bought it with about 18k on it and we have a whole mess of cars and trucks so it only was used to dirtbike and ski trips"

I'm torn I have a check in hand for another 05 Eddie for 16k with 140k on it. It has been deleted and new oil pump. Just put in.
Not studded... just it's 8 hour drive and the body has 2 flaws that will drive me nuts.
Had a PPI completed and OFI had a few issues with it ;

Question being long run what direction?

Fuel pressure - probably needs the blue spring update and/or filter change

Coolant pressure - 15 PSI is high IMO while the cap is supposed to vent at 16psi they have been known to go out, a real test is get the engine to operating temperature vent pressure then see if it rebuilds, if it rebuilds there's a problem.

ICP/IPR - The IPR should never be at 85% there is a problem whether it's a weak HPOP or HPO you'll need to do more troubleshooting to find out. The injection pump has nothing to do with the HPO system they are separate you could replace it with a potato, the HPOP runs of RPMs and the computer commands the IPR to X% to try and achieve Y pressure. The programmer could trick the computer into reading lower ICP then it actually is but the IPR still shouldn't be at 85%.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The blue spring has not been completed yet.

What does it mean if it goes out?

I have set a side budget for this rig about 6k hopefully for a KC turbo, Studs and monitoring.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
The blue spring has not been completed yet.

What does it mean if it goes out?

I have set a side budget for this rig about 6k hopefully for a KC turbo, Studs and monitoring.

If you're talking about the coolant cap it vents before 16PSI so it doesn't hold pressure. If you just want to see the testing part skip to 1:53

Reactions: 5.9and6.0

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Thats low wow.... My wife's 05 has 95,500 on it :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
I mean what is the repair if it goes ?

Replace the cap it's like a $5 part.

15psi coolant pressure is right up near the 16psi the cap vents at. The truck could have an EGR or head gasket issue already I would test it again to be sure.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
I think the 45K one is really overpriced

Reactions: 5.9and6.0

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
Dayem 45k!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Well I sent the 45K one to my uncle since he finds and sells cars for people to see what price he thinks is reasonable but hasn't replied yet. At the end of the day it's a 12-year-old truck I think that $25K is about what it's worth.

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
Well I sent the 45K one to my uncle since he finds and sells cars for people to see what price he thinks is reasonable but hasn't replied yet. At the end of the day it's a 12-year-old truck I think that $25K is about what it's worth.
These trucks aren't made anymore I've seen alot with that price and more. I bought mine for 10k with 190k but have about 30+ invested so that it runs well and is stout. That truck looks nice wonder if there is some warranty on it for that price if so what does it include?
I didnt pay that cuz I didn't have that kind of money all together. Look on ebay you will see what they go for. If I had the money and had the truck looked over by my mechanic @LoxDiesel and he oked it I'd buy it in a heartbeat. (if I had that kinda money at the time )

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
These trucks aren't made anymore I've seen alot with that price and more. I bought mine for 10k with 190k but have about 30+ invested so that it runs well and is stout. That truck looks nice wonder if there is some warranty on it for that price if so what does it include?
I didnt pay that cuz I didn't have that kind of money all together. Look on ebay you will see what they go for. If I had the money and had the truck looked over by my mechanic @LoxDiesel and he oked it I'd buy it in a heartbeat. (if I had that kinda money at the time )

I get the fact they aren't made anymore but that's a lot of money for an old truck. To put it in perspective last year my uncle put a guy in a 2003 7.3 Limited Excursion with 80K miles for $24.9K that was 100% MINT nothing wrong with it anyway the frame and underside didn't have any dirt or rust, it looked like it just left the factory. While it did have more miles the 7.3 carries a good premium over the 6.0, also my dad paid $42K back in 2003 when he bought the Limited Excursion in my sig. There's only so much you can ask before you just buy a newer 6.7 pickup and convert it to an Excursion (there are companies that do this)

EDIT: 2005 is the worst year Excursion to get because Ford knew it was the last year and cuts a lot of corners on the 05s.

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
I get the fact they aren't made anymore but that's a lot of money for an old truck. To put it in perspective last year my uncle put a guy in a 2003 7.3 Limited Excursion with 80K miles for $24.9K that was 100% MINT nothing wrong with it anyway the frame and underside didn't have any dirt or rust, it looked like it just left the factory. While it did have more miles the 7.3 carries a good premium over the 6.0, also my dad paid $42K back in 2003 when he bought the Limited Excursion in my sig. There's only so much you can ask before you just buy a newer 6.7 pickup and convert it to an Excursion (there are companies that do this)

EDIT: 2005 is the worst year Excursion to get because Ford knew it was the last year and cuts a lot of corners on the 05s.
Exactly! you can probably get a 6.7 pickup for that price but it won't be an excursion! Excursions are actually cheaper with high mileage than their pickup counterparts. But with low miles they are rare and expensive.
I'm not saying it's the way to go but they are extremely overpriced and rare with low miles . I don't make the market it is what it is. And also keeping in mind if you are going to beat the crap out of it as I do. You are better getting one with a little more mileage and delete studded it oringed heads bpd goodies (as I did and you are good to go) Also bang for the buck 6.0 might be the best bet.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Exactly! you can probably get a 6.7 pickup for that price but it won't be an excursion! Excursions are actually cheaper with high mileage than their pickup counterparts. But with low miles they are rare and expensive.
I'm not saying it's the way to go but they are extremely overpriced and rare with low miles . I don't make the market it is what it is. And also keeping in mind if you are going to beat the crap out of it as I do. You are better getting one with a little more mileage and delete studded it oringed heads bpd goodies (as I did and you are good to go) Also bang for the buck 6.0 might be the best bet.

https://youtu.be/8o2LGuzl0go

Not around where I live the Excursion carries a premium over the pickups even if it has 400K miles on it. The 6.0 might be the best bang for buck engine till you have to stud it, the $$$ spent on the one in my sig was easily double what most people spend to bulletproof it and 2 years later I'm was back at square one.

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
Not around where I live the Excursion carries a premium over the pickups even if it has 400K miles on it. The 6.0 might be the best bang for buck engine till you have to stud it, the $$$ spent on the one in my sig was easily double what most people spend to bulletproof it and 2 years later I'm was back at square one.
Damn how the hell? I spent about 10k+ basically what it cost me. I drove it like a 17 year old for about 2 years. Still going strong. I have some stiction but 190/100s are on the list soon. Hearing that freaks me out. Are you sure they did a good job? Cuz damn I'm pretty hard on mine.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts