Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 04 late 6.0 is having problems, low idle pressure. It ran about a gallon low on oil for a day.

Ussually jumps to 15psi at a prolonged start, then creeps down to 5-6psi. I changed the oil cooler with no luck, also checked the turbo while I was in there and it seemed good. Last weekend I had the pump apart and it was in spec, no gouging. I couldn't measure the front clearence as I don't have a strait edge but with the feelers it looked good. The front cover had the lightest marks you couldn't even feel with your nail. Maybe 4 marks in total measuring no more than 1 inch. Replaced the gerotors anyways.

The only thing I'm not 100% with is the drain back valve for the oil filter housing. Is there supposed to be a o-ring in there? It doesn't look like it seals very well, but when I pulled it out it wasn't broken or anything.

The oil is not airreated. And the pressure regulator is not jammed open, free flowing and has good spring pressure.

How can I tell oil is fuel diluted?

Help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You're getting close to having eliminated enough possibilities to dig in to the HPOP like I mentioned in the last low oil pressure at idle thread.

I didn't want to believe it was possible either, but this thread is the one that made me.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you get a hold of those pictures? What part was replaced exactly, the whole pump?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Low Lube Oil Pressure:
Some 6.0 engines may exhiit low lube oil pressure caused by leakage in the high pressure oil system. To determine if this is the case, remove the oil filter and hold down the oil drain valve on the left side of the filter housing with a screwdriver. Watch for oil flow with the engine cranking. If flow is present, diagnose the HP oil system for leaks. If no flow is present, diagnose the lube oil system. Broadcast Message 1044

What I've read.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts