Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I did 4-5 wot pulls for data but probably only about 10-15 miles. I will put more miles and plenty of wot this evening or tomorrow morning. Will datalog parameters again for review and see if anything changes. Thanks again for your input and continued monitoring. Over 400 have viewed thread but your the only one helping out.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,998 Posts
It's the holidays. Lots of busy people! I hope it is just air.

You might check one more time for aerated oil (watch the oil filter housing as it fills). I assume the oil level is good and you are sure that it doesn't have any significant fuel dilution?

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I hope it is just air too, just put hood pins on to keep my fiberglass hood down. At speed it shakes pretty good and the single point of contact in the middle has had me worried.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
There is a tool to check for aerated engine oil -- seen a vid showing what aerated oil looks like, but can't find it now

basically was a valve, orifice, and hose setup to bypass some of the engine oil out of the filter housing and look for bubbles in the clear hose

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I forgot to mention earlier when I was done with the hood I started it and let it run for a little bit, started on second rotation this time, previously yesterday and this morning cranked for quite a while before starting. Maybe it is slowly working its way out. When checking for base oil pressure through the oil filter housing didn't need a tool to check, it had bubbles all through it.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I made a 70 mile round trip to town last night and attached is the data from that trip. The last pull on the third spreadsheet is something I have felt and relayed to programmer a few times. The icp v are higher and it pulls very strongly at 60-80% throttle, the numbers show that. IPR goes to max and IPW is lower but ICPV is in the 4+ most of the time. Why doesn't it do this at wot? Are the injectors using that much oil?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I'm beginning to wander now even though thumper allowed minimal air bypass through filter if it was really ok, or at least not bad just maybe marginal. In it's data it did fluctuate at varying loads and showed vctv drop as eot heated up, so maybe not good enough. Runs last night were all at full running temp 185+.

·
5,998 Posts
Well one thing that seems to be happening is that your turbo is maxed out at 15% (fully open). Also, you are near the 4000 rpm limiter (if that hasn't been eliminated).

what air filter do you have and is it clean?

I don't understand your boost numbers, so that is probably in the tuning. Your EBP values look like the boost is there (if you can believe the EBP values, so many tuners and scan tools report bad EBP values).

Based on the IPR numbers, it does look like the HPOP might be maxing out also.

·
5,998 Posts
So .... what tune are you running and what size injectors?

Also, did you end up w/ the Adrenaline pump or still a Thumper?

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Extreme street from Eric at IDP, 205/30 warren injectors and installed the adrenaline hpop. KC stage 2 turbo, full rebuild about a year ago and still trying to get it right. DDPM stage 1 kit with cam and delipped pistons. Really should be a monster i would think.

·
5,998 Posts
Nice build for sure!

So is your tune changing the boost numbers? Do you have MAP numbers to post? I was wanting to look at MAP and compare to EBP (potential exhaust restriction maybe?).

What air intake?

Also, it would be nice to see EGT readings if you have them.

You might run those numbers by Charlie at KC Turbo and see what he thinks.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Eric sent me a new tune to try today, Christmas Eve, wow. Attached is data from a few pulls, laugh at the first pull, hit 32 psi boost and blew the boot off of the intake elbow and almost lost the one on the turbo outlet. Tightened everything up real good after limping home and went back out. 3rd page of second pull file looks pretty good. All runs felt good.

Attachments

Reactions: bismic

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well drove to work this morning 140 miles one way, everything was great until I stopped for breakfast. EOT was 191, truck would not start, no HPO, took 4-5 times cranking before it caught and started. WTH. Other than that ran great.

·
5,998 Posts
Are you sure it can't be an issue w/ the ICP sensor wiring? I know you fixed it, but maybe an issue further up in the harness?

If not the above, then maybe oil is bleeding down when it sits? Things that can cause this are leaking dummy plugs or bad standpipes, leaking oil filter housing drain valve (or a tall oil filter cap w/ OEM filter), bad anti-drainback valve, wrong o-ring on the bottom of the HPOP.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Stand pipes are new, replaced them when troubleshooting no start on DOA hpop. I do have sinister diesel oil filter cap, I don't know if it is any taller or not, I will compare to oem which I have at home and will swap out if necessary, I am using motorcraft oil filters. I don't know if I every replaced the anti drain back valve, I do have the 6.4L oil filter base with fuel filter delete, I thought it came with all new drain back valve and oil filter stand, I will double check that. I know I kept saying I was going to change pigtail on icp sensor but have not done it yet, KOEO shows good though. I did change oil rail cups and orings during rebuild, but I keep reading a bunch on aftermarket injector orings not sealing. I wander if I should eventually replace orings with better or something different. I will start with the simple stuff first, oil filter cap and drain back valve, then yes I will promise to change pigtail on icp sensor, I traced wires all the back to terminal so I can splice in next to battery and run new wires all the way.

·
5,998 Posts
The drain valve part # 3C3Z-6800-A. You could fill the oil filter housing and push the drain valve down w/ a screwdriver to see if it holds.

The oil filter base does indeed contain the (oil in) anti-drainback valve.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I actually found purchase, I only ordered the 6.4 oil filter housing that doesn't have the fuel filter attached, so nothing new. I will check the drain back valve as soon as I get the truck back from glass shop, having new front windshield put in, rocks came off another truck about a month ago and put a bunch of rock chips in the windshield and blew out the passenger front window. I replaced the side window that weekend but just now getting to the windshield. Too many things with this truck. At least it's been paid for since 2012.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Can I change it without removing the oil cooler cover?

·
5,998 Posts
I think you can only get it as part of that cover.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I ordered a motorcraft one on Amazon be here Saturday. I didn't get a chance to check it earlier so will do it in the morning, but it seems to be starting better. It has had intermittent long starts for a while but nothing like this morning. I have more data to upload and will as soon as I get home to desktop. Have a lot of oil in intake system, is turbo drawing so much it's pulling oil from crankcase vent. I have a catch can plan to install someday to help eliminate that just hadn't got to it. The crankcase vent baffle system is new from rebuild. it's always had oil in system since I've had it.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts