Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i swap a #17 hpop pump onto my 96, do the resister mod, and the fuel pressure mod with the bb, would i notice a nice power boost.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I dont get the resistor thing at all. Anyway you will see a gain but not like a ton of it.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
put a good exhaust on it, intake, gauges, and a tw chip on it and it will really wake it up
That would do more than the combo you stated.

Do what you had planned but with a custom tuned chip instead of the resistors. Also to see great gains spend some cash on injectors:thumb:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
That would do more than the combo you stated.

Do what you had planned but with a custom tuned chip instead of the resistors. Also to see great gains spend some cash on injectors:thumb:
yea that is true. just make sure you get a good set of gauges!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have brand new rebuilt injectors but just stock size, i have a 3 inch down pipe and 4 inch exhaust and intake, i also have a boost gauge, what other gauges should i invest in. i just want it to be more powerfull around town and not such a dog, its great on the highway at like 40 to 75 mph. whats the difference between a chip and a programmer?

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Pyro and trans if you have an auto are others you should get

Difference is chip goes directly into PCM and programmer uploads through OBD port, chips are better than programmers for 7.3s specifically custom chips

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
As Matt said, get the trans guage and a EGT guage. Custom tuned chip and the 17* HPOP if you have one.

Custom Tunes alone will yeild more gains from than setup you posted originally.

·
Registered
97 Posts
if i swap a #17 hpop pump onto my 96, do the resister mod, and the fuel pressure mod with the bb, would i notice a nice power boost.
No, not really.
- The resistor mods merely change the temperature reading for the ECM which "might" yield a little more fuel fromt he injectors but that's only in low end. Once you max out the injectors, you're done adding power.
- The HPOP won't give you any benefit unless you install bigger injectors.
- The fuel pressure mod is not what it seems like. Unlike on gasser engines where the fuel pressure actually affects the amount of fuel injected into the engine, our injectors use the high-pressure oil to do so. So no, fuel pressure increase won't give you any noticeable power boost.
- Chip vs programmer? A programmer is well suited for a stock engine and its price is very friendly ($200 nowadays). A custom chip will run you closer to a thousand and a lot of haggling with the programmer who might take several tries to tune the chip to your specific truck (mailing that thing back and forth). A chip is more benefitial if you have big upgrades to the engine (injectors and such).

Hope this answers some questions.
Lou

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
No, not really.
- The resistor mods merely change the temperature reading for the ECM which "might" yield a little more fuel fromt he injectors but that's only in low end. Once you max out the injectors, you're done adding power.
- The HPOP won't give you any benefit unless you install bigger injectors.
- The fuel pressure mod is not what it seems like. Unlike on gasser engines where the fuel pressure actually affects the amount of fuel injected into the engine, our injectors use the high-pressure oil to do so. So no, fuel pressure increase won't give you any noticeable power boost.
- Chip vs programmer? A programmer is well suited for a stock engine and its price is very friendly ($200 nowadays). A custom chip will run you closer to a thousand and a lot of haggling with the programmer who might take several tries to tune the chip to your specific truck (mailing that thing back and forth). A chip is more benefitial if you have big upgrades to the engine (injectors and such).

Hope this answers some questions.
Lou
Umm...

A HPOP will give gains even with stock injectors.

The best custom tuned chips can be had for under $500, NOT $1000. And it is not much of a hassle at all. Some tuners dont make you mail it back, they can send the new tunes in an email.

Please dont put a programmer on a 7.3:please: You may like it at first, but it will take a toll on your truck. Also, the first time you ride in a truck with custom tunes expect to rip out that programmer and get custom tunes. I know, I have used both.

What programmer is $200??? I would not trust whatever it is.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Umm...

A HPOP will give gains even with stock injectors.

The best custom tuned chips can be had for under $500, NOT $1000. And it is not much of a hassle at all. Some tuners dont make you mail it back, they can send the new tunes in an email.

Please dont put a programmer on a 7.3:please: You may like it at first, but it will take a toll on your truck. Also, the first time you ride in a truck with custom tunes expect to rip out that programmer and get custom tunes. I know, I have used both.

What programmer is $200??? I would not trust whatever it is.
+1 :thumb:

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
i have heard jsut as much good as bad. most of the bad reviews here end up sendign it to Tony to have it re-burned with his tunes. i struggled with this decision as well. but i think im just goign to be sure its done the right way the first time with Tony.

W

·
0 Posts
get ahold of PHP if you want to do a custom chip. Bill is one of the best and has been doing it for the longest. Groovy Chick is Bills wife and is a member on here. send her a PM and she will get back with you, or you can go to the website and call them directly.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I have Tony Wildmans tunes, could not be happier. I dont think you can go wrong with TW, PHP, Swamps, Beans, or DI tunes:thumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts