Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the extreme tune my truck is only putting down 20 psi at wide open throttle and from what I am hearing with a custom tune it should be higher atleast 25-30? I checked all of my intercooler pipes and I don't have any leaks. Is there somewhere else it could be leaking from?

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Hmm if you don't have any boost leaks check your turbo and make sure your compressor wheel is still in good shape. Also check your firewall and see if you have a bunch of soot might have a leak in the up pipes as well. Just a couple of things to check first:thumb:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked the wheel and it was fine and the firewall is spotless. It spools up quickly to 20 psi and then when it shifts into overdrive it maybe hits 22psi but only for a split second.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
How does your truck run? Does it seem like it starts to fall off when you hit that boost pressure? Maybe its a fuel pressure issue or hpop issue. Have you scanned for codes?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
My SCT runs lower boost with more power. I don't know about Wildman tunes.

·
Registered
798 Posts
My SCT runs lower boost with more power. I don't know about Wildman tunes.

I was going to say the same, but that's on a 6.0, so I don't know how much translates.

Were you making higher boost with the same tune at one time?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is the most boost I can get the rest of the tunes are lower. It doesnt lose power at all it feels good, but if I should or could be getting more boost I want to be able too. I pulled my codes and didnt get anything out of the ordinary. I had abully dog chip on it before and I was running about 30 psi max so the gauge said. BUT that gauge quit on me a couple weeks before I got the new tunes. So I dont think I was actually ever getting 30 psi. I also did find a little soot on the pipe coming up from the drivers side manifold behind the turbo, if that is a leak how do I fix it?

·
Registered
798 Posts
That is the most boost I can get the rest of the tunes are lower. It doesnt lose power at all it feels good, but if I should or could be getting more boost I want to be able too. I pulled my codes and didnt get anything out of the ordinary. I had abully dog chip on it before and I was running about 30 psi max so the gauge said. BUT that gauge quit on me a couple weeks before I got the new tunes. So I dont think I was actually ever getting 30 psi. I also did find a little soot on the pipe coming up from the drivers side manifold behind the turbo, if that is a leak how do I fix it?
What kind of boost are you getting stock?

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
if its an up pipe leak you have to replace the doughnut gaskets or replace the up pipes with bellowed ones that dont require the doughnut gaskets.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was getting about 16 psi before the chip.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This sucks! First of all I ended up as the DD tonight for some friends then after I drop them all off I drive home and find out that my boost has dropped from a whopping 20 to 17. WTF! Then as I pull into my parking spot I notice a little puddle so I crawl under the truck to find I have a small coolant leak and THEN on top of that one of my summer tires which I put on my truck yesterday is going flat and has a HUGE hole in it! Holy crap if it isnt one thing its three! Okay so to getting this solved. How do I use a boost leak detecter "pvc pipe with are hose connection"? Do I just clamp it in the intake hose and then turn on the pressure and then listen for leaks?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I made my own set up checked it out and i have a serious leak coming from the up pipe on the drivers side. What all do I need to do to fix that. That is the donut gasket leaking, correct?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bump, bump, bump, bump

·
Registered
444 Posts
BUMP BUMP BUMP

·
Living on a prayer
291 Posts
i was going to suggest checking the boost sensor fitting and the gauge line, but sounds like you found the problem in the up-pipe. do a search for "donut" and you should find some info here. i guess bad donut gaskets are a common enough issue, but i've read about up pipes rusting out.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Get you some exhaust donuts for a small block cheby and use those, you will also prolly need a new up pipe as its prolly eroded.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts