Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive been chasing down an issue I cant seem to pin point. 04' (late model; icp on valve cover) F350 6.0. Studded and all updates done super recent, egr/cooler delete, 4" straight pipe, bypass oil filter and coolant filter kit, cold air intake, currently on stock tuning on both FICM and ECU. Problem I have is its super slow (almost dangerous) off the line even with a tune on it and only 18psi max of boost. I've replaced almost everything including sensors (needed a lot of work when i bought it). it starts making boost around 2000rpm then takes off but even when it takes off it doesn't take off with the power it should (likely due to 18psi of boost) tuned I only see 22psi of boost max and for some reason 1700psi ICP, stock i see nearly 4000psi ICP. I pinned a picture of my PID's at hot idle. EBP seems high from what I know its supposed to close to the map at idle...? That is also a new sensor as well. I'm just stuck, oh, looked for boost leaks, couldn't find any.
IMG_20200901_200550.jpg

·
Love all, Trust a Few...
4,847 Posts
Oddly, this sounds like a bad or dirty MAF on an 03, even though you say its a late 04, check MAF data.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright so, sorry for the late response.....trans took a crap. Anyways, got the truck back and Edge sent me a different tuner to try...i figured the tunes would be the same but maybe different in the way I was having issues with the CTS2, they sent me a HT2. Everything is way better on this tuner, trans shifting is way better, etc. But I think i will still go with SCT X4 for tunes and maybe get the CT3 for monitoring. Anyways, to the point, Still doesn't build boost until 1800-2000 rpms, slow build up and only see 22-24psi max on the extreme tune (I see 20-22 max...SOMETIMES 24 going up a hill in lockup stock tune) another thing im really a little concerned with is i only blow a tiny bit of black smoke on the stock tune file, if any at all but yet on the extreme tune it will turn a white car black taking off when it finally kicks in.....any ideas guy?

·
Registered
362 Posts
On a stock tune you won't be seeing much smoke and on the extreme you will see what you have seen. That's just the nature of the amount of fuel you are demanding.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On a stock tune you won't be seeing much smoke and on the extreme you will see what you have seen. That's just the nature of the amount of fuel you are demanding.
Ok, what about the slow spool up and low boost psi though?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sorry man that tidbit of info I just gave is about the extent of my knowledge. I'm definitely not the expert on these things as some of the others but they have helped many figure these things out. It almost sounds to me like you have something acting up in the turbo area. Maybe a lazy actuator or a sticky vane or something. That is just my two cents on it, again I am by far no expert here. Someone else will be along to chime in I'm sure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry man that tidbit of info I just gave is about the extent of my knowledge. I'm definitely not the expert on these things as some of the others but they have helped many figure these things out. It almost sounds to me like you have something acting up in the turbo area. Maybe a lazy actuator or a sticky vane or something. That is just my two cents on it, again I am by far no expert here. Someone else will be along to chime in I'm sure.
No problem man, thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Have you pulled the vgt plug at idle to hear a difference in the vane positioning? If there is no power making it to the vgt you will have low boost, laggy higher EGTs but I never had a check engine light

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah but if the VGT wasn't working, or even not working correctly wouldnt I see that on AE, especially watching the parameters? And also wouldn't it be lower boost than 20-22lbs?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a bad VGT plug and would hit 20-22 psi but really laggy. Vgt % will move around and look normal, no codes. What I noticed was when I started the truck up typically it would sound different until oil pressure buildup in the veins with clothes and you get your high pitch whistle. If you do not have any change in tone of your exhaust system from start up when oil pressure builds then the veins are not moving. Again you can replicate this by unplugging the VGT cord the truck will have more of a rumble to it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It does change pitch after start up, that I am definitely sure of. And the whistle is definitely loud and high pitched.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sounds like you should try that plug. It's looking like it has something to do in that part of the system.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, so after I pull the plug and I assume start it up, what should I expect? What should or shouldn't it do?

·
Registered
61 Posts
You have proven it’s doing something already. If at start up it’s quiet and once you have oil pressure it whistles the vgt is doing something and the veins are moving. You could pull the end cap off the rack and pinion use a magnet to confirm you have full vgt cycle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not to question you're intelligence here but uh....i dont have a rack and pinion, its a steering gearbox. And even if i did, what would that have to do with boost?

·
Registered
61 Posts
The veins in the turbo or actuated buy a rack and pinion system that the VGT manipulates

1 - 20 of 30 Posts