Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys is your 7.3 pretty loud when first cranked in the morning then seems to quieten when warmed up. Mine almost sounds like an exhaust leak in a gas engine when cold.

·
Super Moderator
19,509 Posts
Uh...yep! Seems when the oil is thicker she taps louder. I usually give 'er a few to warm up and then hit the road. Where I live it rarely gets to freezing, but a couple of years ago, I was in Oregon in the winter. It was below 0* that time. A bottle of water in the cab froze. I had the DieselKleen white bottle in the tank so it started right up, but geez, it thought that ol' 7.3L was going fight it's way out from under the hood. Took a bit to quiet down.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Welcome to owning a diesel....

·
Registered
692 Posts
i started mine once at -15 without being plugged in, it barked cackled shook the whole truck and stood there in a huge cloud of smoke. i think it may have woke the neibors up :D

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
here's my car in a -1*f cold start w/ no degelling additive:

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I've got a -23*f start... err... attempt to start... didn't work out so well :( (no degeller again).

·
Registered
692 Posts
I've got a -23*f start... err... attempt to start... didn't work out so well :( (no degeller again).
yeah slow crank, some smoke but no go i bet. with #1 fuel and plugged in it might have started :please:

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
yeah slow crank, some smoke but no go i bet. with #1 fuel and plugged in it might have started :please:

lol. Ya if it were plugged in or I was running degelling I woulda been fine. I was pissssssed so ignore me sounding like a moron in the video. Was 2hrs late to work that day.

·
Registered
692 Posts
i cant play the video... but thats understandable i hate being late!

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
You'll laugh when you play it later!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't generally drive my Dually to work,I have a company car but it's in the shop so all week I drove the Dually,it just seems louder to me,I do know since I put in the PHP chip it does not smoke on startup anymore.

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,519 Posts

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,519 Posts

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
^ I was gonna say it but decided "meh".

·
Banned