Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 2005 6.0l making some noise. It sounds like a loud vacuum and the more gas you give it the louder it gets. The problem is it doesnt do it all the time and its hard to find when you have the hood up because you cant really hear it when your not on the throttle. It really does it when pulling but it does do it when just driving. Any ideas:dunno:

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
You have a leak, either on the intake side or exhaust side of things. First open your hood. Peek inside the engine compartment. Do you see oil staining under your turbo? If you do, your hot side charge air cooler rubber hose is likely swelled and torn. If this is the case, you would be boosting the air that is within your geographical location as opposed to boosting the charge air that is supposed to be going into your engine.

The other possible problem, could be a cracked exhaust manifold to turbo y-pipe at the flex joint. If this were the case, you'd see black soot staining the firewall, also adding exhaust heat to your FICM. If this were the case, you would also have less boost due to some of the exhaust pressure escaping through the leak.

Both of these leaks can be found, with an assistant sitting in the driver's seat holding the accelerator to the floor and revving the engine up to 3800 RPM (which is this engine's maximum governed no load engine speed).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the engine like you said and found some oil staining on the rubber flex hose going to the turbo but didnt see any tears in it. Maybe I will double check it again. There was also no soot on the firewall. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts