·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok 6.4 with 625mi

every now and then the engine makes a loud clattering sound starting
at 1800rpm and quits at 2000rpm. started doing this at 550mi,
not sure whats caulsing this. local dealer says its just the regen mode,
when it starts i have pulled over to see if the truck will go into high idle.
but it never does...

also would it go into regen every couple days ??? or is there something
else lurking in the shadows here ??:dunno:

·
Registered
371 Posts
My truck does not clatter during regen.

Regen that often is not normal unless you drive like Dale Jr. My truck regens maybe every 1000 miles if that, probley because I drive like an old lady which prevents the DPF from clogging with soot as often.

I've noticed people who regen the most have a heavy foot or tow alot or live where it's cold. If none of those apply to you, tell the dealer to fix your truck or else. :punish2:

·
Premium Member
9,383 Posts
there is no set time or mileage for a regen , every truck is diferent , it shouldnt make any noise during regen , just should be slightly under power when driving ad slightly higher idle if sitting still, its possible they dot know what to do to fix your problem, and may be using that excuse tohope you buy it , may want to get with the dealer and let them kow you do feel there is a problem, and also tell them , you think it does regen to often, and you wouild like to at least have it checked , i do agree with driving style and load , things like that effect the regen process

·
Registered
71 Posts
Scuffy,
Should the truck be losing boost when it goes into regen mode? On a hard pull up a hill my truck will go into regen sometimes and the boost will drop from 37 psi to 12 psi.

·
Registered
139 Posts
not normal take it to the dealer...

·
Premium Member
9,383 Posts
Scuffy,
Should the truck be losing boost when it goes into regen mode? On a hard pull up a hill my truck will go into regen sometimes and the boost will drop from 37 psi to 12 psi.
sorry but yes it is normal for the engine to not boost as much as it does when not in regen ,it possibly shouldnt drop that low though, maybe 5-7 lbs, unless you are trying to demand it it isnt a noticeable difference when in regen, if you are undera hard pull yes it will be noticeable ,im sure evry truck is slightly different though, i have put them in manual regen ,and drove them,and seen a noticeable power loss

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well it's not regen caulsing the noise, my message center says when its in regen mode.
went into it at 725mi and lasted 10mi on the big road.
the noise is comeing from the drivers side of the engine, now when it starts this at 1800 rpm you can feel it start to fall on its face then take off at 2000rpm.
reminds me of a 2 stroke dirt bike, bogs alittle untill the power band is reached.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You know that doesnt sound all that out of the ordinary, unless youre talking a loud noise, i can hear it on mine with the radio off everyone talks about a loss of power when theyre in regen but mine has almost o turbo lag in regen its more fun to drive in regen for sure, and sometimes during the week on the jobsite it will regen 4 times in 100 miles, but thats short trips hard on throttle, and idleing for up to 45 min at a time doesnt regen too much going down the road tho

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.