Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a MAC cold air intake on my 2000 F-250.It has the 6" conical oiled filter.The power increase is noticable but the noise it makes is bothersome.It sounds like a loud vacuum cleaner with swooshing sounds.Do all the cold air intakes make this noise?What about the Tymar,are they quieter?Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.Thank you.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,273 Posts
Might wanna get used to it, all the open filters are louder. If ya wanna keep the filter but want less sound you could insulate the cab better.:nod:

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I'm thinking the Ford AIS intake might not be so noticeable, but don't have one, so can't speak from experience.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Haha, i like listening to my intake. I can see why it would get annoying tho.

My vote goes with trying to insulate the cab better. Maybe more lining in the doors or some dyamat? Im thinkin about putting more lining at the bottum of my doors, if you look it doesnt create a great seal

Good luck!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I installed a MAC cold air intake on my 2000 F-250.It has the 6" conical oiled filter.The power increase is noticable but the noise it makes is bothersome.It sounds like a loud vacuum cleaner with swooshing sounds.Do all the cold air intakes make this noise?What about the Tymar,are they quieter?Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.Thank you.
Does the extra loud vacuum cleaner sound happen all the time with an open air intake? I'm considering either open or closed air intake. I don't mind extra turbo sound, and don't mind extra noise during RPM changes. I would mind hearing extra vacuum cleaner noise all the time when cruising.

·
Registered
418 Posts
on my 92 F-150 I went from stock to open air K&N intake. and yeah it sounds like a vacuum under the hood some people even mistake it for a supercharger :hehe:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a mac air intake on my truck and it is loud. When you let off the gas it makes a loud sucking noise. When your driving you can hear the turbo like its sitting in the passenger seat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts