Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a lot of black smoke and no real power on take-off with my 2005 F-350, it just started doing this about two days ago. I pulled the EGR valve out and it is real caked up, even looks like there is a small peice of carbon stuck between the valve preventing it from seating correctly. It is soaking now, I will clean it and put it back in and see what happens.

I took the valve out about a month ago to clean just because it hasn't been done in about a year. I reinstalled it and didn't really notice and difference in performance. I am thinking maybe I broke it last time I had it out by possibly getting carb cleaner in those two small holes. But would it take a month to fail....? How can I be sure I have a good valve, or a bad valve, or a different problem all together.

FYI - When I bought the truck a year ago the dealer had to replace the EGR valve and cooler because it ws doing the same thing. Except back then the truck barely moved on take-off and left a huge plume of smoke behind once it caught up to itself. I am really hoping I don't have another cooler issue!

I really want to install an EGR delete kit, but am unsure on how this would effect me when it comes to emission testing here in the state of Utah. Has anyone out there done this delete and dealt with emission testing in Utah?

Thanks in advance - Jeff

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Something else you may do while you have your egr off. I took and removed the intake elbow also (additional gasket needed) and scraped as much carbon and soot loose as I could through those two openings and then vacuumed out as much as I could. When the truck first fired it stumbled for a second and smoked because it was pulling that loose soot through the chamber. I noticed a decent improvement on the overall feel of the truck. Smoother idle, smoother power delivery.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I cleaned the EGR Valve, replaced the gasket and o-rings and put it back together. Now truck seems to run worse than before. Any ideas? Possible shot EGR cooler again?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, now it is puffing white smoke and degas bottle is pretty much dry. So I am thinking my EGR cooler is shot, once again. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
634 Posts
If you park the truck on a slope with the front end pointing down, then pull the egr valve and find any coolant in there then youve got a shot egr cooler. Im not sure if this is the only way to check the cooler or the best way but its worth a shot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts