Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing a new turbo heat shield since mine was missing. I dropped a wrench behind the turbo, fell somewhere and I can't find it. I even tried my borescope I'm ready to leave it, can it do any damage or harm anything? I won't miss my wrench!

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
That’s a calculated risk you’ll have to decide, but don’t discount the longer term effects of vibration. I’ve seen a small 10/32 tap do major structural damage to an aircraft, but that was steel against aluminum. I personally wouldn’t leave it due to habit and I don’t have a snap on truck coming on a regular basis. Perhaps you could try some compressed air to try to dislodge or locate it.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I’ve had things fall down the top and land on the transmission. From there it was like hugging the transmission to feel the top of it to find the socket.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That’s a calculated risk you’ll have to decide, but don’t discount the longer term effects of vibration. I’ve seen a small 10/32 tap do major structural damage to an aircraft, but that was steel against aluminum. I personally wouldn’t leave it due to habit and I don’t have a snap on truck coming on a regular basis. Perhaps you could try some compressed air to try to dislodge or locate it.
At this point, the only way I think I can find it is to remove the turbo. A lot if work! Is there any plastic or aluminum under the turbo that could be damaged? I don't think there are any holes it could go down into the engine, transmission, or other component, but I don't know for sure, that's the question I'm asking.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,526 Posts
I would bet you will be fine.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you have a telescoping magnet, stick that down in there and move it around, you might grab onto it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts