Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home from work yesterday got about 3 miles down the road and I mashed on it a little and I had no boost. Motor seemed fine but had no get up and go from turbo. Cst said 0 on boost. Looked out the back window and my stack was blowing huge amounts of black smoke. I let off the pedal for a few miles and tried again and all was fine? Any ideas? I'm running a innovative SRL tune.

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
CST? Check for codes? Is your boost working now?

Sent from my SGSIII running a custom ROM.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry meant cts. Got no lights or anything so I didn't try to pull any up. Boost has been fine since. Drove another 15 mile after that happen yesterday and another 17 this morning and it was fine.

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
Check for codes.

·
Registered
243 Posts
my thoughts codes.. VGT selenoid might be jacked up or sticking which would cause vanes not to move.. keeping it at the largest setting.. hence lots of smoke

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
You or previous owner haven't added a 'smoke switch' in the vgt solenoid have you?

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No smoke switches. Truck was stock when I bought it. The smoke was rolling when I was on the pedal hard. Once I let up it stopped.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sounds like the veins are starting to stick. Look up the turbo cleaning procedure. It's fairly easy

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
Sounds like the veins are starting to stick. Look up the turbo cleaning procedure. It's fairly easy
If they were there would be a code.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked for codes and none were found.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If they were there would be a code.

You can get a code for sticking veins? I never had a code when my turbo veins were sticking. How does the ecu know the postion of the veins? Though the VGT solenoid?

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
You can get a code for sticking veins? I never had a code when my turbo veins were sticking. How does the ecu know the postion of the veins? Though the VGT solenoid?
Well, it would throw a turbo performance code. So, not necessarily a vein code but a turbo code.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I experience a similar problem from time to time. When it happens sometimes it will idle rough almost like I added a choppy cam to the motor. Also I have noticed that if I stay in the pedal for about 5 seconds that it will clear its self up and be fine again. this happens maybe once or twice a week and has never thrown a code. Someone thought maybe it was EGR cooler ruptured but I deleted that and to be honest the old cooler looks new! Maybe the previous owner replaced both EGR and oil coolers when he did studs. When I did the EGR delete I took the turbo apart and cleaned it all up but that too looked nearly new inside.

I may be getting a CTS soon so I will check FICM voltage while this happens. My other thought was maybe a fuel pressure issue but then again if there was no fuel, where is the smoke coming from?

·
Registered
165 Posts
mine was doing the same thing a few months ago. it would smoke and had little to no acceleration and then next time you hit it everything would be good...turned out to be the boost sensor. the sensor was going bad and it was causing all the problems. It can get dirty and cause the same problems so might be worth trying to clean it up before replacing it. the sensor is under the degas bottle on the end of a tube

Edit: it's known as the "exhaust backpressure sensor" not the boost sensor...sorry for any confusion

·
Registered
184 Posts
mine was doing the same thing a few months ago. it would smoke and had little to no acceleration and then next time you hit it everything would be good...turned out to be the boost sensor. the sensor was going bad and it was causing all the problems. It can get dirty and cause the same problems so might be worth trying to clean it up before replacing it. the sensor is under the degas bottle on the end of a tube

Edit: it's known as the "exhaust backpressure sensor" not the boost sensor...sorry for any confusion
Thank you for the info.... I will try and track it down and clean it. See if that helps. thank you again!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's worth a try to clean that sensor. My ficm showed no voltage drop at the time. Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Check your map sensor could be the plug not makin good connection or the sensor could be bad. After I had studs put in mine did the same thing. And it ended up bein the plug not makin connection all the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts