Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i just made this account, but looking for some help before i blow all my money in unnecessary parts! My truck is 96 F350 7.3turbo... all stock except for the exhaust. My problem seems to be either a turbo or bad injectors. The truck runs fine doesnt have any problems, but as soon as i hook something to it (even if the trailer is empty) its like i lost half my power. Going up any kind of hill is the worst, even if its a small one. This has been going on sense i bought the truck, earlier this summer. The one thing i have noticed is the truck makes a lot of turbo noise, even if im going slow and just give it a little bit of gas the turbo starts screaming as if i had 10,000lb going up a hill. Is that "normal"? Any info would be great! My thoughts are either injectors or turbo... Thanks!!!!:icon_ford:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Check fuel pressure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
havent tried that yet. I dont have gauges so i'll have to get a hand with that. The pressure should be around 50-60? closer to the 50 side with the throttle open? does that sound right?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I'd have to pull up the exact numbers but somewhere in there yes. Iirc you should gain pressure under wot due to having a mechanical pump. In short, set it up to check fuel pressure at wot than report back with findings

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
was just told by a good friend and very good mechanic that with the turbo being as loud as it is, that i could have a boost leak. Makes good sense too. So i am going to check that and the fuel pressure this weekend and get back! thanks for the help so far!!!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I thought boost leak as well but I would think it'd have to be a good size leak to lose as much power as you say. Boost would also show when not pulling especially in low boost situations where all the boost you're making is escaping. I know I have a super duty but I had same problem a while back. Lost a lot of power only when pulling trailer, empty or loaded. Ran just fine truck alone. I had low FP. Fixed it and pulling trailer was no longer a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Havent gotten my hands on a fuel pressure guage yet, but i did do the pressure test on the boost. And the plug on the valve pane cover (passenger side) is blowing out oil at low pressure. Would that cause that big of a boost leak? Im am going to fix that and do another pressure test.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 1996 E-350 idles perfect, starts easily but does not rev up more than 2000 rpm and smokes a little bluish, only wants to go about 40 mph

1 - 9 of 9 Posts