Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004. On a load going up a hill the engine seems to cough. When the load drops off and I accellerate again I have no power at all. After a few seconds and I hit the peddle a few times power returns and I get a huge cloud of black smoke.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Do you have a way to monitor vitals? Sounds like the turbo may be sticking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, I just replace my Edge Juice with their new module, the CS. It does have capability of data recording and on screen display.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Is the boost gradual and steady or does it fluctuate randomly and seem to stick?

You used Edge to tune? How's your transmission?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
boost seems fine, no fluctuation. usually happens when going up a hill 18+ boost then I'll hit a flat spot and let off on the peddle. boost goes down to 0 then hit the peddle again and no response, then after a few seconds power back and lots of smoke. It has also happened when I was going very slowly again up a hill at a turn, stopped and then no power, I put it in neutral rev it up, blow the smoke then continue on, but it does "feel" like something is sticking.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Well your vanes COULD be sticking or a worn unison ring. Could also have an injector acting up. Throwing any codes?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
has 275,000 miles all injectors replaces about 10,000 miles ago, stock turbo never replaced. New oil cooler and egr cooler about 25k ago.

Yes I'm getting a few codes in fact
P0272
P0275
P0404
P0603
P132B
sorry should have checked those earlier

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
new erg about 10k ago when I did the injectors. I've ordered an upgraded turbo, hopefully that will fix the problem

·
california deplorable
10,858 Posts
it does sound like maybe your vanes are sticking. I hope the new turbo fixes your issues.

IF you want to donate your old turbo I have been wanting to try my hand rebuilding one just for kicks :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts