Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
The 7.3 does not use the VGT turbo, so no a 7.3 turbo will not look like that, but a 6.0 may
No ****, Sherlock.
Talking about the exducer, not the vgt side of things......

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
The picture is of the VGT side of things, ...and the exducer would be the inner part of that wheel

You are the one that mentioned the 7.3 turbo and compared it to the picture

I really do not see how that follows -- maybe you can clarify

·
Registered
586 Posts
The picture is of the VGT side of things, ...and the exducer would be the inner part of that wheel

You are the one that mentioned the 7.3 turbo and compared it to the picture

I really do not see how that follows -- maybe you can clarify
Literally just the exducer being chewed up. Nothing more, nothing less. Just that most people never look at it. Once I swapped mine, my turbo was pretty quiet.
Every one I've taken off a 7.3 has been like that. I don't think I would point any one certain cause. High egts? Maybe, but mine was 100% stock when I got it.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
OK, ...I think what you are calling exducer is actually the turbine wheel -- the term exducer refers the the air flow exit point of the fins on the wheel, which is on the center parts of the turbine wheel and the outer part of the compressor wheel

Really, I think the only way high EGT would damage a turbo would be from molten aluminum from the pistons

Not sure how comparing a 7.3 turbo to a 6.0 turbo is relevant, since the 7.3 turbo is a fixed flow design -- now, either one can have foreign material damage the turbine or compressor wheels, but the 6.0 VGT can have the variable vanes come into contact with the wheel, if the unison ring or vanes are damaged

Loose/worn bearings are another cause of damage from the wheel contacting the housing, the clearance for the wheel in the housing is pretty tight

TLDR: Your gonna nuke the engine before exhaust gas temperature damages the turbo -- damage to the turbine wheel comes from foreign material or interference with the housing

·
Registered
586 Posts
Correct. Lack of terminology. I was referring to the whole exhaust turbine as the exducer.
Really no point trying to be made in comparing the two, just that it's common, I guess.
I'm curious what air filter op is running.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
OK, ...I think what you are calling exducer is actually the turbine wheel -- the term exducer refers the the air flow exit point of the fins on the wheel, which is on the center parts of the turbine wheel and the outer part of the compressor wheel

Really, I think the only way high EGT would damage a turbo would be from molten aluminum from the pistons

Not sure how comparing a 7.3 turbo to a 6.0 turbo is relevant, since the 7.3 turbo is a fixed flow design -- now, either one can have foreign material damage the turbine or compressor wheels, but the 6.0 VGT can have the variable vanes come into contact with the wheel, if the unison ring or vanes are damaged

Loose/worn bearings are another cause of damage from the wheel contacting the housing, the clearance for the wheel in the housing is pretty tight

TLDR: Your gonna nuke the engine before exhaust gas temperature damages the turbo -- damage to the turbine wheel comes from foreign material or interference with the housing
The unison ring was in fact damaged

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Correct. Lack of terminology. I was referring to the whole exhaust turbine as the exducer.
Really no point trying to be made in comparing the two, just that it's common, I guess.
I'm curious what air filter op is running.

Running an Airaid, not going to lie, it was disgusting. Have already purchased a new one!

·
Registered
586 Posts
So I would say could more likely be from dirt/dust going through the engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So I’m not really sure if I should just continue on this thread, or maybe start anew. But the turbo has been completely rebuilt, unfortunately the problem persists. Well sort of. I can build boost again and I have power, but only after about holding it to the floor and leaving a smoke trail a mile long until the turbo lights, it’s almost like I’m driving a truck with a big fixed vane turbo. Any idea on what is causing this? I had the turbo split again and everything is fine, my mechanic can open and close veins on autoenguenity. I’ve been thinking maybe replacing the EBP sensor?

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
When your guy was manipulating the turbo vanes, did the EBP and MAP voltages coincide with the pressures from those sensors?
I mean really, comparing the voltage reading to the pressure from a sensor is the only way to know if the sensor is reading correctly or if the PCM is using inferred numbers

You no longer hear the air rushing sound under the hood?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
When your guy was manipulating the turbo vanes, did the EBP and MAP voltages coincide with the pressures from those sensors?
I mean really, comparing the voltage reading to the pressure from a sensor is the only way to know if the sensor is reading correctly or if the PCM is using inferred numbers

You no longer hear the air rushing sound under the hood?
Correct I no longer hear the air rushing noise , and I’m not really familiar with all of this so your just going to be getting my best recollection of what he said. He told me that when he tried to pull my PCM vin it wouldn’t return as a vin and would actually return as a SCT vin, and that the PCM came back as a 2004 even though my truck is an 03, he said all voltages looked good. He did mention that he couldn’t completely read the EBP because of the weird sct vin on the PCM. He told me first thing I should do is have my PCM reflashed. Then we can hook it back up and see what it reads.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts