Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to this forum and diesels as well so bare with me please, I recently purchased a 2003 6L. After already needing to replace the hpop I have run into a new issue. When I give the truck throttle it says it’s building boost but the truck won’t scream like it would before, it never gets past the turbo noise and it sounds like there is a loud air rushing noise from my engine compartment. Here are modifications as far as I’m aware: EGR delete with exhaust and an air aid intake with banks high ram. It has an sct x4 but I have only put the tune on twice then have always returned to stock. I’m open to all ideas and will answer questions to the best of my ability

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Any CEL's? Intake connected to the turbo? Charge pipe boots secure?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any CEL's? Intake connected to the turbo? Charge pipe boots secure?
There is no check engine light, I have checked boots but haven’t pulled them to completely inspect for cracks or tears, from what I can see they seem ok. Intake is also connected

·
Registered
353 Posts
Check the intercooler. I found mine was cracked on the hot side inlet. The whole end cap had started to seperate. It was bleeding off boost. It wasn't hard to find on mine. I had oil stains on the end tank and the core where the crack was. Once I cleaned off the oil it was really easy to see the problem.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
If you get a 4" Rubber pipe cap and couple of fender washers, and bolts, you can make an air pressure checker and pull the air box and hook it to the turbo air inlet, and pressurizre with shop air, you can make your own pressure checker. Doing it that way, mine usualy blows off at 5 PSI. I bought one from a vendor, and it blows off at 10 PSI.

Just don't be in the line of fire when it goes!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So just an update, pulled all boots and fully inspected for cracks or leaks but came up empty handed. I’m not really sure what is causing this. Before when I had a boot blow off it would bellow black smoke the entire time. This time there is no black smoke, it clears up once the turbo lights.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Sounds like you don’t have the y pipe connected to the turbo properly. This connection has to be perfect for it not to leak. The band clamp will not pull them together if they aren’t perfect, it will only hold it in place if it’s misaligned. Check this connection.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like you don’t have the y pipe connected to the turbo properly. This connection has to be perfect for it not to leak. The band clamp will not pull them together if they aren’t perfect, it will only hold it in place if it’s misaligned. Check this connection.
Thanks, I’ll definitely look into it. There seems to be a lot of knowledge on this forum and I’m looking forward to learning this truck in and out. Also I have a video of the sound the truck is making if it would help diagnose? I’m just not sure how or even if I can post videos on here.

·
Super Moderator
9,635 Posts
Check that fan clutch.....With the engine off see how easy it is to rotate by hand. If it's difficult....change it out. Maybe inspect the harness just to be sure.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Could just be the video, but the turbo sounds like its grinding. I’d recommend pulling the air filter box out and checking for play on the turbo, both in and out and side to side. In and out should be no play, side to side should be little if any play and would require a “strong fingersowrth of effort” to get any of the side to side or up and down play. Also spin the turbo and it should take a bit of effort to get it spinning, and it should not bind or grind while spinning.

Also recommend pressure checking the turbo. That will find leaks in the air intake side from the turbo to the air intake, to include the Intercooler, boots and pipes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could just be the video, but the turbo sounds like its grinding. I’d recommend pulling the air filter box out and checking for play on the turbo, both in and out and side to side. In and out should be no play, side to side should be little if any play and would require a “strong fingersowrth of effort” to get any of the side to side or up and down play. Also spin the turbo and it should take a bit of effort to get it spinning, and it should not bind or grind while spinning.

Also recommend pressure checking the turbo. That will find leaks in the air intake side from the turbo to the air intake, to include the Intercooler, boots and pipes.

I suppose I’ll have to do the leak down test. Just had the hpop replaced a week or so ago and when the mechanic pulled the turbo he checked shaft play and said all seemed fine. Then again who knows haha.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Wow, something went through there. What’s next?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Most people would be surprised to find theirs looking like this. I would bet 75% of 7.3's running the factory turbo look like this.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
611 Posts
If anyone is still interested, found the culprit. View attachment 768664 View attachment 768665
So, did we learn a very valuable lesson about something being "checked out"?
So often people ask for advice and when they're told something different than what they "might" believe, they dismiss it. If you ask for advice and get an answer, follow the advice. It has worked for me, saved me a large amount of money. 'cause I listened.
One more thing.... I don't let mechanics touch my truck. There are some things out of my skill range, but, unless I'm absolutely 100% positive I can't do it, then I at least try. Yup, I have spent some $$$ on tools, but not as much as a simple "diagnosis" that may, or may not be right.
'*rant over'

·
Premium Member
3,736 Posts
Most people would be surprised to find theirs looking like this. I would bet 75% of 7.3's running the factory turbo look like this.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
The 7.3 does not use the VGT turbo, so no a 7.3 turbo will not look like that, but a 6.0 may

·
Premium Member
3,736 Posts
Nice picture of a trashed turbine, but not what caused it -- was the unison ring worn or broken? Else wise something came out of the engine and damaged the fins -- nozzle tip or glow plug tip

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice picture of a trashed turbine, but not what caused it -- was the unison ring worn or broken? Else wise something came out of the engine and damaged the fins -- nozzle tip or glow plug tip
Almost certain this is actually melted and from egt’s.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts