Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I don't know what else to do....hoping someone can help me figure this out.

Wife and I bought a 2006 F-450 motorhome with a 6.0 Powerstroke. On the way home from picking it up I noticed the oil temp was a bit too high. A month or so later got a code for power imbalance #1 cylinder. So I decided to change the injectors on the passenger side, as well as the oil cooler and EGR delete. I also changed the stand-pipe seals and dummy plug seals. Put it all back together and fired it up....ran great with all pertinent data in the green. About a half hour later it stalled and wouldn't fire back up. Scanned for codes and got P2291 (low oil rail pressure while cranking) . Took the passenger valve cover off and when I unscrewed the stand-pipe it came out without the lower tube....took the oil rail off to remove the lower tube....all seals looked and still look good. Reassembled the oil rail, installed the ICP sensor then removed the IPR and installed a pressure fitting and injected air into the rail.....I can hear a leak and it seems down low.....So then I removed the oil rail and applied shop air to the IPR to about 15 psi....then I put my finger over the lower stand-pipe tube that was inserted into it's bore.....Not sure why but with my finger on the lower standpipe hole I could seal the pressure against my thumb but pressure was still escaping....but it wasn't from the stand-pipe!! I;m thinking that the STC fitting on the pump must have sprung a leak but not sure and am about to lose my mind.....I'm an auto shop teacher with over 20 years in the trade but I just don't have enough experience working on these 6.0s. I'm hoping someone can offer insight into this problem that's driving me mad. Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
2005 F-350 XL 6.0
223 Posts
I would lean towards it being a part that you messed with. Could also be the STC fitting. Do you have a monitor for PIDs? If not, that's where you have to start. Really need to know the ICP before you start digging around.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Sounds like STC fitting - factory fitting is prone to failure. Standard HPO upgrades on newer 6.0 is stand pipes, dummy plugs and SCT fitting. You nailed 2 out of 3 - welcome to the 6.0 club. Great engine with some well known weaknesses. Read all the sticky's on the 6.0 section and a monitor is vital as well as scanning abilities - many options and opinions on this site. Filter through and pick what seems to suit you. For monitor I use Edge Insight 2, for scanner OBD Link MX+ with FORScan. Others will recommend different but this works for me.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would lean towards it being a part that you messed with. Could also be the STC fitting. Do you have a monitor for PIDs? If not, that's where you have to start. Really need to know the ICP before you start digging around.
[/QUOTE
i do have a Snap On Ethos Edge scanner and ICP at key-on is .26 which is good. Looking like I need to remove the turbo and pedestal and do another pressure test with the hpop cover off and have a look at the STC fitting…it’s a huge leak because I only get 30psi on crank…..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like STC fitting - factory fitting is prone to failure. Standard HPO upgrades on newer 6.0 is stand pipes, dummy plugs and SCT fitting. You nailed 2 out of 3 - welcome to the 6.0 club. Great engine with some well known weaknesses. Read all the sticky's on the 6.0 section and a monitor is vital as well as scanning abilities - many options and opinions on this site. Filter through and pick what seems to suit you. For monitor I use Edge Insight 2, for scanner OBD Link MX+ with FORScan. Others will recommend different but this works for me.

I’ve been doing hours of reading on possible Hpop leaks and when I read about the STC fitting I dismissed it because prior to my taking it apart to do injectors etc…it ran great with no indication of high pressure oil loss based on live stream data before disassembly. How likely is that the STC fails 25 minutes after said maintenance….thanks so much for your insight..

·
Registered
747 Posts
I’ve been doing hours of reading on possible Hpop leaks and when I read about the STC fitting I dismissed it because prior to my taking it apart to do injectors etc…it ran great with no indication of high pressure oil loss based on live stream data before disassembly. How likely is that the STC fails 25 minutes after said maintenance….thanks so much for your insight..
Removing the stand pipes will "wiggle" the pipe leading to the STC fitting, which in turn could lead to its failure. If memory serves me correct when I did my head job stand pipes didn't slide out easy - took some force.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Removing the stand pipes will "wiggle" the pipe leading to the STC fitting, which in turn could lead to its failure. If memory serves me correct when I did my head job stand pipes didn't slide out easy - took some force.

So the force of removing the lower stand pipe causes the STC fitting to leak from movement of the branch tube? Is that correct?

·
Registered
747 Posts
So the force of removing the lower stand pipe causes the STC fitting to leak from movement of the branch tube? Is that correct?
Possibility that is what happened - the SCT fitting is a weak link in the HPO system.

Reactions: mikealfano

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Possibility that is what happened - the SCT fitting is a weak link in the HPO system.

Pretty certain I have pinpointed my pressure loss to a failure of the HPOP. I took the HPOP cover off today and repeated my pressure test.....no leaks visible but the sound gurgling heard through the filter housing above the oil cooler. Internal failure of the HPOP has allowed the pressure to backfeed to the filter housing. It's got to be the pump.....Hoping you can validate this..thanks.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Pretty certain I have pinpointed my pressure loss to a failure of the HPOP. I took the HPOP cover off today and repeated my pressure test.....no leaks visible but the sound gurgling heard through the filter housing above the oil cooler. Internal failure of the HPOP has allowed the pressure to backfeed to the filter housing. It's got to be the pump.....Hoping you can validate this..thanks.
While you have HPOP cover off change the STC fitting regardless of good or bad - the original fail. Not a matter of will it fail but when. Once again 6.0 have problems well known and that is one of them

·
Registered
747 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts