Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, New to the Forum... My name is Ray. I'm not very good with computers and these forums confuse the heck out of me. Also I'm sorry If I post something that has already been discussed. I'm not very smart when it comes to diesels. I know a little bit but I'm definitely not the guy to ask for help if you catch my drift. I own a 1996 F250 7.3. 2wd. Automatic. 160k miles. Stock other then an air filter and a 3'' downpipe. Great running truck. I own a transporting business and I've hauled big trailers 1200 miles straight with no issues. Like I said. Great running truck.. BUT. the issue I have and have had since I purchased the truck is when I start it cold or not it stutters and lopes for a few seconds and then idles normal. Also I'm not sure how to describe this but I'll just tell it how it sounds to me.. Sounds like the turbo builds up then puffs out a quick burst of air lol I am currently running the 3'' downpipe only. As I haven't been able to install my 4'' exhaust. Maybe that is the issue I'm not sure. BUT the lope and stutter has been around even when it had the stock exhaust. My question is.. what could possibly be the issue? the fuel filter is new. Its getting plenty of air. The starter and alternator are good. The batteries appear to be good. Do you think I have a drawl somewhere or could it be a mechanical issue? Once the truck runs for a few seconds its good to go. Runs like a champ. Its just when I start it. Hasn't caused any performance issues and it hasn't gotten worse. Sometimes it barely does it sometimes its really bad. Sounds like its set on a lope tune. But surely it can't be good for the truck so I'd like to figure it out. I've rebuilt gas motors on a bench for next to nothing but I know when it comes to diesels its a whole nother ball game.. expensive too if you can't do it yourself and I sure as heck can't... so before something bad happens I'd like to fix it. any ideas of where to begin looking? thanks!

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Ray!

Try starting it in neutral and see if it lopes. If it doesn't, many times it is the Transmission Range Sensor on the transmission. Cheers!

Reactions: OBS7point3

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
unplug the ICP sensor. Start truck. If no lope, replace ICP.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Patrick.. You seem to have solved my problem. I turned it off and on multiple times in neutral and she started beautifully. Put it in park and the first try she started loping. Thank you! I would have never guessed. I'm gonna try and get it replaced tomorrow... Again! thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts