Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any tuners out there that have written a lope tune for sct? I heard that RCD has one but that is the only one i have heard about?

·
Registered
703 Posts
my buddies Dmax had one, through EFI live. he put it in, at first it was kinda cool how the truck sounded like it had the worlds biggest cam in it, only thing it was at idle only and sitting at a stop light it was really annoying as the truck would buck sitting there, at the time he didnt have a flip switch so we went about a block and turned around to take it back out, hes got a DSP5 switch now with it on there so he can switch to it for fun but can still shut it off, so unless you had a switch, i think it would get really annoying right away with the SCT. Now for a pulling tune, that would be sweet, just to put it in prior to pulling, and then pull the tune back out for the drive home:thumb:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
How would a lope tune help with pulling vs a regular pulling tune?

·
Registered
597 Posts
pulling as in sled, or towing??

·
Registered
30 Posts
How would a lope tune help with pulling vs a regular pulling tune?
I'm guessing that it's KIND OF like the motogp race bikes -except they actually change their firing order - they call them a "big bang firing order"

The idea is that torque comes in pluses so it provides more hook up -
Imagine you have a 400lb box in the middle of a warehouse and you want to push it all the way to the wall - which way is harder?

1. start pushing and continue all the way to the wall

-or-

2. start stop start stop start stop all the way to the wall.

It's much harder to "break loose" over and over again - I.E. less "wheelspin" down the track. It helps with the age old question of ---> OK, I have a million horsepower. Now how the hell do I get it to the ground?

I'm assuming pullling tunes have a bit of lope built in too...

Just a guess :thumb:

:icon_ford:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
It wouldnt do a thing except sound cool. All the power would be the same
thats what I figured and it does sound bada$$ :thumb:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'm guessing that it's KIND OF like the motogp race bikes -except they actually change their firing order - they call them a "big bang firing order"

The idea is that torque comes in pluses so it provides more hook up -
Imagine you have a 400lb box in the middle of a warehouse and you want to push it all the way to the wall - which way is harder?

1. start pushing and continue all the way to the wall

-or-

2. start stop start stop start stop all the way to the wall.

It's much harder to "break loose" over and over again - I.E. less "wheelspin" down the track. It helps with the age old question of ---> OK, I have a million horsepower. Now how the hell do I get it to the ground?

I'm assuming pullling tunes have a bit of lope built in too...

Just a guess? :thumb:

:icon_ford:
Makes sense but if its only at idle then your theory is out the window ;)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I doubt they change the actual firing order they prolly just change the timing at idle :dunno:

·
Registered
703 Posts
i have to say thats a good theory really.. now in your defense that was an EFI live tune (that was lope at idle only) it was strictly a "sound cool" tune. no purpose at all, now if it held the lope throughout the band, then your theory makes descent sense,

Now, If it takes 500hp to drag a sled 300ft then why build a 800hp engine and basically de-tune it with a lope? I'm no expert..just trying to make sense of it!:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have to say thats a good theory really.. now in your defense that was an EFI live tune (that was lope at idle only) it was strictly a "sound cool" tune. no purpose at all, now if it held the lope throughout the band, then your theory makes descent sense,

Now, If it takes 500hp to drag a sled 300ft then why build a 800hp engine and basically de-tune it with a lope? I'm no expert..just trying to make sense of it!:)
What you are saying makes sense, but to build a driveline that will withstand that abuse would be very difficult, think of it as a built big block. it idles like crap but once you bend the throttle it goes away, cleans out and runs smooth. a buddy of mine has EFILive in his LBZ and it gets anoying like said with the brake surging. if you could get a tune written lets just say within the 75-100 hp range that you can street drive everday, not get too annoying when sitting at a stop sign but theres still that hint of im formal but here to party, would be a very fun tune!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts