Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went on another trip pulling my camper. The truck runs great for about the 1st half hour to 45 minutes, then I gradually start to loose my turbo boost. You can hear exhaust like a gasser until I get my RPM s up to 2500-3000 then the turbo starts to wind up again. After it sits for about 4-5 hours it runs great again and I have my boost back.
Anyone have any ideas? I've heard possibly oil cooler or unison ring.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would pull the turbo and #1 clean it, How many miles are on it. #2 check for any play in the shaft.

Seems like its coked up or something.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I had it off in November, it had a frozen unison plate so cleaned it all up and put a rebuild kit in it even though it didn't need it. I just found a good article today about the turbo cleaning. I didn't shine it up with Scotchbrite pads like in the article, but did clean it up and get the unison plate moving again.

Now that I think about it, it did the same thing on a trip last year before I cleaned and rebuilt the turbo-that's why I took it apart the first time, but after I took the turbo off I discovered that I had an exhaust leak and assumed that was the real problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts