Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 04 F250 6.0 lwb 4 door. I have went through the entire truck and there is nothing loose. Checked everything for hubs, ball joints steering components, everything was tight no movement. I am confused on what could be causing the issue. Today when coming home it felt like the wheels was going to come off the truck was so wobbly. It doesn’t happen all the time. When turning the steering jerks left and or right. I can hear something banging underneath but can not find what is loose. Any ideas? Please help. I haul with this truck and have a long haul planned at the end of July.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I had this problem..... The track bar bushing was shot, I mean BADLY shot. It felt tight when I checked it, but it was gone. Caused all sorts of problems with steering and stability. Idk if you have a track bar, but my point is, just because it feels "tight" doesn't make it so.
So, in a leaf sprung truck, the bushings for the leak springs, the axle u-joints, the front end bearings and the drag link are the things I'd pay particular attention to. Sometimes you have to remove them to see how bad they are.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m going to stop it off at a shop this weekend to check it out. I removed the track bar and the steering stabilizer. Check for anything that is broken. They were fine. My next guess would be maybe my tires.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You removed the track bar to check it? Isn't that the one that requires something like 400ftlb torque on one side?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. I have a torque wrench. I do a lot of work myself. It’s stuff I can’t figure out I send it to my mechanic

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mechanic found that the passenger side u joint was binding. Said that it was stuck when he tried to turn the wheels. Also the steering box was a little loose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts