Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off, I know there are quite a few threads on the loose steering on Superduty trucks, but I have not seen many with lift kits.

Now, I know a lift alters the suspension and so forth however the designers and engineers of these lifts also put a lot of work so that doesn't become a factor.

Ok, onto the question, my 2014 F350 was just aligned and I replaced the tie rods because they were wearing early. I only have 25k miles and I have noticed that my steering is extremely loose, everything is tight mechanically but the actual steering wheel has about 2" of play either way when driving down the road. It has never been in an accident either.

Does anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
323 Posts
There is a nut that needs to be tightened that will fix that on the steering box I believe. I realize that's a vague answer but my buddy was having the same issues on his 2012 with an 8" and 37's. He bought the truck used and the steering was super loose and I sent him to All Out Offroad to check on it and they knew right away what it was, fairly common for that to loosen up with miles and needs to be tightened occasionally I was told.

I'm lifted 10" on 40's and don't have any steering wheel play either for whatever it's worth.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the help! I have heard this about the older Fords but didn't know it was also true on the 2011+. I'll give them a call and see if I can get a picture. Does anyone on here have a picture of the bolt?

·
Registered
925 Posts
I'm going through similar issues with mine. 65K miles and over the past few months have replaced Tie Rods, Drag-Link (both ends), installed adjustable caster/camber bushing, carli adjustable trackbar, Bilstein stabilizer, and several alignments. kinda running out of ideas here. I've got a 2.5" leveling kit and it gradually deteriorated. I've thought about the steering gear adjustment as well, but I don't think i'll touch that one myself. From what I've heard is it only takes a tiny amount of adjustment, but an incorrect or over adjustment could toast the steering gear in a short amount of time.... at least that was the impression I've gotten from some of the other threads/forums on the pre-6.7s. either way, let us know how it goes because this is one of the most frustrating things I've had to deal with on this truck.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far I have looked at everything and it seems that my pitman arm is still a little loose. I'm picking up a large torque wrench and socket for it so I can tighten it myself, then I'll try it again. If it isn't that, I have a friend at a shop that is going to take a look at it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
At least on older models there was a Allen wrench bolt coming out of the steering box top with a nut holding it from moving, you loosen the nut while holding the Allen wrench bolt. After the nut is loose you tighten the Allen wrench a 1/4 turn to maybe 1/2 turn at most and then retighten the nut to hold it in place. I have not checked newer models but I think this still applies. This will tighten up the play in your steering wheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So far I have looked at everything and it seems that my pitman arm is still a little loose. I'm picking up a large torque wrench and socket for it so I can tighten it myself, then I'll try it again. If it isn't that, I have a friend at a shop that is going to take a look at it.
What ended up being the problem? I'm having the same issue and my truck only has 25,000 miles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts