Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking over my 2000 f350 before a road trip this week and noticed this loose ring around the axle. It looks like maybe a dust cover for the seal but it’s completelt just flopping around the axle shaft. It’s exactly the same on both sides, what is this ring? I’ll try figure out how to attach a video

·
Premium Member
3,312 Posts
Dust seal -- it is supposed to keep debris out of the axle insides -- looks like yours is shot

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'll bet that is expensive. Probably a $5 seal and $500 in labor.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Unfortunately I’d just be doing the labor myself. I’ve just never seen such consistent damage. Both seals are broken the exact same way and axles aren’t leaking a drop. No idea how long they have been broken though

Look like they do next to nothing though, probably will leave them until I’m in there for something else and replace them then. Im guessing there is no way to just push them back in place without removing the axle.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
one thing they do is keep dirt from the bearings. dirty bearings tend to fail

·
Premium Member
8,299 Posts
No, no, & NO! ;)

Ignore it. I'd bet the majority of trucks our age look just like that. That seal is kind of useless anyway. There is so much movement at the tube end, from all the movement of an unsupported axle, the seal is always being deformed with large gaps even when new.

I think it's much more for keeping small stones from going into the tube when forging a stream than keeping out any "dust" :)

Seriously, your tube is full of dirt and rust that it's seal has always allowed in, I guarantee it! The gears and bearings are sealed internally and Not at the tube end...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, no, & NO! ;)

Ignore it. I'd bet the majority of trucks our age look just like that. That seal is kind of useless anyway. There is so much movement at the tube end, from all the movement of an unsupported axle, the seal is always being deformed with large gaps even when new.

I think it's much more for keeping small stones from going into the tube when forging a stream than keeping out any "dust" :)

Seriously, your tube is full of dirt and rust that it's seal has always allowed in, I guarantee it! The gears and bearings are sealed internally and Not at the tube end...
Yea that’s what I was thinking it looked like. I’ll mess with it down the road if I pull the axle or hub for something else but leave it and just let it wiggle around in there.At least all loose on there it’ll still stop the big rocks right lol.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
I haven't had those seals on mine for 5 years, no problems at all, its you inner axle seals that keeps the oil in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts